College Basketball Rate Topic: -----

#121 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• Pittsburgh Pirate
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:09 AM

View PostGoBucs21, on 21 March 2017 - 07:55 AM, said:

What are the Duke fans saying?

That K needs to change his recruiting, and spending time with Team USA has hurt the team because of all the early round exits they have had recently. I believe over the past 10 years, they have had 5 first or second round exits, while they had 5 in the previous 20 some years under K (mostly early in his career). Of course, they have also won two titles in those 10 years.

They think he is not recruiting the right players, with too many one and dones. Nevermind their last title team had 3 one and dones.

#122 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

• We'll Be Ready for that Ass
  • PipPip

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:29 AM

In defense of Coach K, the landscape of college basketball has also changed greatly over the past 20 years. With scholarship limits, there are countless players that could be part of a Duke or a UNC based on talent, but have to take their abilities elsewhere.

The result is a much deeper, more dangerous level of teams below the elite powerhouses, which absolutely can pull off upsets on a given night. It makes the tournament a heck of a lot more fun for non-fans of powerhouse teams, and is great for the sport overall, but prevents teams from having dynasties like they used to.
"The problem in this country, is that almost no one's sense of community or country extends beyond their wallet." -GoBucs

#123 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:37 AM

Winterset Resurrection, on 21 March 2017 - 10:29 AM, said:

In defense of Coach K, the landscape of college basketball has also changed greatly over the past 20 years. With scholarship limits, there are countless players that could be part of a Duke or a UNC based on talent, but have to take their abilities elsewhere.

The result is a much deeper, more dangerous level of teams below the elite powerhouses, which absolutely can pull off upsets on a given night. It makes the tournament a heck of a lot more fun for non-fans of powerhouse teams, and is great for the sport overall, but prevents teams from having dynasties like they used to.

Much of it has to do with a one game sample as well. Any time you put college basketball players on the floor together anyone can have a good or bad night. That was also a home game for South Carolina. The game was played within an hour of South Carolina's campus. Most college teams struggle on the road, especially against well coached good teams.
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.

#124 User is offline   oblongatta 

• Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:38 AM

View PostWinterset Resurrection, on 21 March 2017 - 10:29 AM, said:

There may be some different names among the elite teams but I don't think there's any fewer powerhouse teams than there used to be.

And Duke sure isn't an argument. They are quite clearly still a powerhouse. Those fans are idiots. Didn't Duke just win a Championship like one fuckin year ago? I briefly looked it up.
1970s 4-2
1980s 18-8
1990s 32-7 2 championships
2000 23-9 1 championship
2010 19-5 2 championships

and they're on pace to equal the run in the 90s.

Here, look at this list of NCAA upsets. There's been a bunch of no-name teams that beat dynasty teams back in the 80s and 90s.

edit: or just look at PSU's comment, a one game sample can easily lead to some upsets.
You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
You're pretty on the inside,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.

#125 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• Pittsburgh Pirate
  • Pip

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:41 PM

View Postoblongatta, on 21 March 2017 - 11:38 AM, said:

There may be some different names among the elite teams but I don't think there's any fewer powerhouse teams than there used to be.

And Duke sure isn't an argument. They are quite clearly still a powerhouse. Those fans are idiots. Didn't Duke just win a Championship like one fuckin year ago? I briefly looked it up.
1970s 4-2
1980s 18-8
1990s 32-7 2 championships
2000 23-9 1 championship
2010 19-5 2 championships

and they're on pace to equal the run in the 90s.

Here, look at this list of NCAA upsets. There's been a bunch of no-name teams that beat dynasty teams back in the 80s and 90s.

edit: or just look at PSU's comment, a one game sample can easily lead to some upsets.

Since they expanded the field to 32 teams back in the mid 70s, dynasties stopped. Sure Duke and UNC have more championships that Pitt, but a team like Butler was in the finals recently and was very close to winning the whole thing. Gonzaga is a #1 seed. And this is not new, like you said. Villanova won the championship as what, an 8 seed in 85? That is also when they went to 64 teams, which makes it very difficult to win, no matter how good your program is.

There have not been any dynasties since UCLA from 64-75. Only Florida has won back to back or with similar rosters since then.

#126 User is offline   Grey 

• All Star
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Buccos, Steelers, Pens, PSU, University of Arizona

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:55 PM

Wisconsin continues to amaze me, every year. Just a sound team that plays sound basketball. Just never seems to have the horses though, to scale the top of the mountain.
Ann Arbor is a bitch

#127 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:46 AM

I didn't know where to put this one but since it's Geno Auriemma, I put it here. I agree with some of his take but his anger is really misplaced. Why take it out on the kids? They didn't coddle themselves, well at least not until puberty. As I wrote in the Kinsler subthread, it's adults on the sidelines of all these sports who allow this shit to gon.

Auriemma is also a bit hypocritical in his rants. There are few coaches in sports, who are more "me" oriented than Auriemma. He is concerned about the "me" attitude of players, while he makes millions and the players don't make a dime in salary.

Even though I agree in part, mostly I think Auriemma can fuck off.

http://www.cnn.com/2...ting/index.html
People say I am ruthless. I am not ruthless. And if I find the man who is calling me ruthless, I shall destroy him.
Robert F. Kennedy

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#128 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:08 PM

This game is crazy
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.

#129 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:11 PM

What in the holy hell was WVU doing at the end?

#130 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

• We'll Be Ready for that Ass
  • PipPip

Posted Yesterday, 04:47 AM

View PostGrey, on 22 March 2017 - 08:55 PM, said:

Wisconsin continues to amaze me, every year. Just a sound team that plays sound basketball. Just never seems to have the horses though, to scale the top of the mountain.

+1

Absolutely. I feel like this has become a Big Ten hallmark. You could arguably say the same thing about 2-3 other Big Ten teams that have had similar surprising runs over the past few years.
"The problem in this country, is that almost no one's sense of community or country extends beyond their wallet." -GoBucs

#131 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted Yesterday, 08:40 AM

Winterset Resurrection, on 24 March 2017 - 04:47 AM, said:

+1

Absolutely. I feel like this has become a Big Ten hallmark. You could arguably say the same thing about 2-3 other Big Ten teams that have had similar surprising runs over the past few years.

I still don't think it's all that surprising that a team with the experience and coaching of Wisconsin is making a run. Their resume was pretty good and they were seeded way too low. The Big Ten was perceived as down this year so everyone got seeded lower than others with comparable resumes.

#132 User is offline   Pantsless Jose Lind 

• The Ugandan Giant
  • PipPip
  • Interests:I enjoy playing second base and cocaine.

Posted Yesterday, 08:46 AM

There'd probably be a lot of time, discussion and money saved if they just played Carolina vs Kansas and called it good. It really appears noone else is even in the same level.
"What other businesses do you expect to lose money for your entertainment?" --sisyphus -UPPMD

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic