• You cannot reply to this topic

Steeler's Offseason Thread Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• All Star
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:42 AM

View Postoblongatta, on 09 February 2017 - 02:53 PM, said:

Just a follow-up. Think of that for a second. Here are the QBs that were playing at a high level when a team drafted their successor: Farve, Bledsoe and Brees.

Think about how long ago those names are from.

(and I mentioned Russel Wilson because I couldn't remember but Carroll did draft him to start right away so put him in the other column)

To cut that list even further, Drew Brees played like shit in 2003, even benched so the Chargers could play 41 year old Doug Flutie.

Brady was drafted in the 6th round. I do not think the Patriots expected that they were drafting the best QB of all time.

Rogers seems to be the only fit here. The Packers did not trade up for him, so if lets say Mitch Trubisky falls to them, maybe they could take him...of course he seems like a Blake Bortles to me.

#42 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:44 AM

View PostGrey, on 09 February 2017 - 09:43 PM, said:

I like DeShawn Watson: Winner. Clutch. Makes plays and is great in money time. Would be a great Steeler, and could learn on the bench for 2 years.

I'll come out and say it: I think Ben has two years left, that's it.

Slash 2.0?

That should go well.

#43 User is offline   Ma13tt0 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:54 AM

View PostNCBuccofan, on 10 February 2017 - 10:44 AM, said:

Slash 2.0?

That should go well.

When was Kordell a clutch player? Or a winner? He was awful in the playoffs. 48.6% completions, 2TDs and 8 INTs.
"Penguin and ma13tt0 vindicated" - PF82 12/12/12 8:35 PM

#44 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:55 AM

View PostMa13tt0, on 10 February 2017 - 10:54 AM, said:

When was Kordell a clutch player? Or a winner? He was awful in the playoffs. 48.6% completions, 2TDs and 8 INTs.

When was Watson? He has completed the same amount of passes as I have.

#45 User is offline   Ma13tt0 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:57 AM

View PostNCBuccofan, on 10 February 2017 - 10:42 AM, said:

so if lets say Mitch Trubisky falls to them, maybe they could take him...of course he seems like a Blake Bortles to me.

Eww no. Dude seems like Ryan Tannehill, only started one year. And this doesn't encourage me much:

WEAKNESSES Almost 98 percent of his dropbacks came from shotgun. Will have to learn NFL footwork from under center which could take time. Benefits from offense loaded with RPOs (run-pass option) that pull linebackers forward and open easier throwing windows. Played in space-based passing attack that didn't often ask him to throw to tight windows in traffic. Arm slot will drop way down causing batted balls at line of scrimmage. Too willing to float balls rather than air-mailing them out of bounds when he's making a bail-out throw against pressure. Needs better drive accuracy between the hashes. Has a tendency to leave throws in hip pocket of moving targets. Inconsistent deep ball touch. Has touchdown opportunities he babies and invites defenders time to recover. Not always pocket aware. Hyper-focuses on shifting parts down the field and can be late to feel pressure collapsing the edges.

#46 User is offline   Ma13tt0 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:01 AM

View PostNCBuccofan, on 10 February 2017 - 10:55 AM, said:

When was Watson?

He went to back to back BCS championships including a come back win this year. Kordell didn't have any

He has completed the same amount of passes as I have.

This is just dumb. Thats like me saying Mitch Keller has the same amount of strikeouts in the majors as me.

#47 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:03 AM

View PostGideon Clarke, on 10 February 2017 - 08:39 AM, said:

Steelers both did not need a QB when they took Ben and were planning to let him sit as a rookie. He only played right away because of injury.

Giants hadn't had a good QB the year before they drafted Manning (assuming you're talking about Shitty Manning and not Fivehead Manning or Oldguy Manning), but they had just signed Kurt Warner, who some people consider a fringe HOFer. If you're talking about Fivehead, then yeah, the Colts had dogshit at QB when they drafted him.

I'd rather emulate the Packers, the Patriots and the Giants than the Chargers, the Raiders and the Lions. Or just stay the Steelers instead of turning into the Colts.

I will go ahead and say that Kurt Warner is not a fringe HOFer.

The Steelers had Tommy Maddox when they drafted Ben. He was not a good QB. If they draft a QB when they do not need one, they would be emulating the Chargers.

#48 User is offline   Jermaine Allensworth 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:10 AM

View PostMa13tt0, on 10 February 2017 - 11:01 AM, said:

He went to back to back BCS championships including a come back win this year. Kordell didn't have

This is just dumb. Thats like me saying Mitch Keller has the same amount of strikeouts in the majors as me.

Given he's from NC, I'm guessing the sole reason that he's comparing Watson and Kordell is because they are both black.

#49 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:11 AM

View PostMa13tt0, on 10 February 2017 - 11:01 AM, said:

He went to back to back BCS championships including a come back win this year. Kordell didn't have

So we are just going to assume that Watson will be a better playoff QB than Kordell because of his college career?

Never a winner? When Stewart was at Colorado, they were pretty damn good. In 1994 their only loss was to the eventual national champ, and they were top ten the other two years. He also led the Steelers to two AFC Championships.

Never clutch? Come on, he only has one of the most iconic Hail Mary passes of all time against Michigan.

#50 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:12 AM

View PostJermaine Allensworth, on 10 February 2017 - 11:10 AM, said:

Given he's from NC, I'm guessing the sole reason that he's comparing Watson and Kordell is because they are both black.

Actually, I am from McCandless.

Steeler fans manufactured rumors about Stewart being gay, but you want to call me the racist because I live in NC? You truly are a complete moron.

#51 User is online   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:17 AM

View PostJermaine Allensworth, on 10 February 2017 - 11:10 AM, said:

I think more accurate would be he's a troll. It doesn't have much to do with where he is from.
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.

#52 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:19 AM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 10 February 2017 - 11:17 AM, said:

I think more accurate would be he's a troll. It doesn't have much to do with where he is from.

A troll because I disagree with you and think you are very uniformed on many topics?

Pittsburgh Steeler fans treated their last black QB like shit, because he was black. That is why I said it would go well. Spin away.

#53 User is offline   Ma13tt0 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:28 AM

View PostNCBuccofan, on 10 February 2017 - 11:11 AM, said:

So we are just going to assume that Watson will be a better playoff QB than Kordell because of his college career?

No not assuming anything. I just don't get the Kordell Steward reference.

In 1994 their only loss was to the eventual national champ, and they were top ten the other two years.

They ended those years ranked:
1992 - 13th
1993 - 16th
1994 - 3rd - I think Rashaan Salaam's Heisman season had more effect than Kordell.

He also led the Steelers to two AFC Championships.

He played like dog shit in those games. Combined he threw 1 TD to 6 INTs.
1997 - 18 for 36 201 yds 1 TD 3 INTs
2001 - 24 for 42 255 yds 0 TD 3 INTs

Never clutch? Come on, he only has one of the most iconic Hail Mary passes of all time against Michigan.

Yeah Im sure Kordell wouldn't trade that Hailmary for a game winning TD with 6 seconds left.

#54 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:36 AM

View PostNCBuccofan, on 10 February 2017 - 11:19 AM, said:

A troll because I disagree with you and think you are very uniformed on many topics?

Pittsburgh Steeler fans treated their last black QB like shit, because he was black. That is why I said it would go well. Spin away.

I don't think Steelers' fans treated Kordell poorly. We all loved him.

I think if anything, the fault lies somewhat with Cowher for transitioning him out of his VERY effective "Slash" role into a full-time QB. Now maybe there weren't any other realistic options via the draft, etc. at the time, but that's where fans started to get critical of Kordell. Not because he was black, but because he just wasn't nearly as good in a full-time QB role.
"The problem in this country, is that almost no one's sense of community or country extends beyond their wallet." -GoBucs

"Just let everyone do whatever they want. Sports are entertainment. Stop taking them so seriously." -PSU4Lyfe

#55 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:41 AM

View PostMa13tt0, on 10 February 2017 - 11:28 AM, said:

No not assuming anything. I just don't get the Kordell Steward reference.

They ended those years ranked:
1992 - 13th
1993 - 16th
1994 - 3rd - I think Rashaan Salaam's Heisman season had more effect than Kordell.

He played like dog shit in those games. Combined he threw 1 TD to 6 INTs.
1997 - 18 for 36 201 yds 1 TD 3 INTs
2001 - 24 for 42 255 yds 0 TD 3 INTs

Yeah Im sure Kordell wouldn't trade that Hailmary for a game winning TD with 6 seconds left.

Stewart was a second team all american in 94, so I would think he had something to do with their success.

I am sure he would trade the hail mary for a national title. Not sure how they guarantees NFL success.

#56 User is offline   Ma13tt0 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:46 AM

View PostNCBuccofan, on 10 February 2017 - 11:41 AM, said:

Stewart was a second team all american in 94, so I would think he had something to do with their success.

I am sure he would trade the hail mary for a national title. Not sure how they guarantees NFL success.

And Watson was a First Team All American.

Never said it guarantees anything. I'm confused how you think he's going to be Kordell Stewart v2.0. How based on Watson's better college career you think he is the same?

#57 User is offline   silverspring 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:50 AM

View PostWinterset Resurrection, on 10 February 2017 - 11:36 AM, said:

I don't think Steelers' fans treated Kordell poorly. We all loved him.

I think if anything, the fault lies somewhat with Cowher for transitioning him out of his VERY effective "Slash" role into a full-time QB. Now maybe there weren't any other realistic options via the draft, etc. at the time, but that's where fans started to get critical of Kordell. Not because he was black, but because he just wasn't nearly as good in a full-time QB role.

Speak for yourself. I hated him because he was black....

...a black-tailed deer in the headlights of opposing defenses!

No, but seriously, I'm a racist homophobe who hates blacks and gays.

Damn. I mean r@cist h@m@ph@be if I remember the meme correctly.

#58 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:50 AM

View PostMa13tt0, on 10 February 2017 - 11:46 AM, said:

And Watson was a First Team All American.

Never said it guarantees anything. I'm confused how you think he's going to be Kordell Stewart v2.0. How based on Watson's better college career you think he is the same?

He would be if he is a Steeler, because the last time they had a black QB, there were racial slurs hurled at him and fictitious stories about him being gay.

Watson could be great or he could suck. I do not think his college career is going to tell us if is going to be better or worse than Stewart or anyone else.

#59 User is online   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:53 AM

The fans that dumped beer on Kordell as he went through the tunnel every game would disagree that he was beloved
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.

#60 User is offline   silverspring 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:55 AM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 10 February 2017 - 11:53 AM, said:

The fans that dumped beer on Kordell as he went through the tunnel every game would disagree that he was beloved

Right, but if they were racist they would have dumped malt liquor. So, credit where it's due.

For the record, Kordell and Brister are two of my favorite players of all time and they both had their ups and downs and judging from Brister's ass, they were both black.

Share this topic:

• 44 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic