#1 User is offline   gahran 

• All Star
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 July 2017 - 01:40 PM

Overwatch League

http://www.espn.co.u...verwatch-league

http://bleacherrepor...ch-league-spots

It's a video game but it's also a professional e-sports league with (a minimum of) 140 million invested in it already. Notable franchise owners include Robert Kraft and Fred Wilpon, who will own the Boston and NYC franchises respectively.

The other 5 franchises are in Miami, San Francisco, LA, Shanghai and Seoul. Set to start in the fall.

With the money involved I figured it had some WOW factor and deserved it's own thread. It's definitely not just video game news. The owners are spending more to buy their franchise than Bob Nutting is willing to pay Andrew McCutchen in 2018.

I've played the game a lot. Its a fun game but I have concerns about spectating. It's a 6vs6 team first-person shooter.

#2 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 12 July 2017 - 01:45 PM

I do not really see the appeal of watching people play a video game. Maybe it is just me.

The NBA is partnering with eports somehow too, with half the league owning a part of a team.

#3 User is offline   v2burghboy 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 July 2017 - 04:06 PM

View PostNCBuccofan, on 12 July 2017 - 01:45 PM, said:

I do not really see the appeal of watching people play a video game. Maybe it is just me.

The NBA is partnering with eports somehow too, with half the league owning a part of a team.

Yeah...Unless it's a small tourni with a few friends I don't get the appeal of watching others play video games.

#4 User is offline   gahran 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 12 July 2017 - 04:36 PM

I play the hell out of the game but I'm also wondering how they'll make it good to spectate.

At least I've got a few Kraft jokes already. Under-inflated mouse dpis. Videotaped scrims. Ho ho ho

#5 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:01 PM

View Postgahran, on 12 July 2017 - 04:36 PM, said:

I play the hell out of the game but I'm also wondering how they'll make it good to spectate.

At least I've got a few Kraft jokes already. Under-inflated mouse dpis. Videotaped scrims. Ho ho ho

My son watches youtube videos of other people playing video games all the time. According to his friends' parents, he is not alone.
"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017
Winter's response to my post that Trump may have raped a teenage girl.

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#6 User is offline   thedefdog99 

• Altoona Curve

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:08 PM

I do not really see the appeal of watching people play a video game.

Go to Twitch sometime. People make $1000s a day just playing video games, and their 22,000 watcher at that moment, start tipping them $10-$100 of real money.

I don't understand it either, but it's for real.

And we all know in the real world there are no hot chix that like video games, but there are on twitch.
Because they know dudes will give them money endlessly as they play Call of Duty or whatever.

#7 User is offline   Gideon Clarke 

• GAY 4 CUTCH!!!
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Bisexual for Kate Upton

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:42 PM

There's no such thing as "esports." Video games are not a sport.
"You know, I wish I could go back in time and kick the shit out of the idiot who decided to make kickers part of football."

-Coach Marty Daniels

#8 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:23 AM

View Postv2burghboy, on 12 July 2017 - 04:06 PM, said:

Yeah...Unless it's a small tourni with a few friends I don't get the appeal of watching others play video games.

Well yes, if I was playing in it I would be interested. We used to have Halo tournaments in college. But I was not interested in going across campus to watch some randos play.

#9 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:24 AM

View PostGoBucs21, on 12 July 2017 - 05:01 PM, said:

My son watches youtube videos of other people playing video games all the time. According to his friends' parents, he is not alone.

So does mine, he watches Minecraft, and I ask why he does not just play it. Then he tries to do both. I dont know why you would rather watch someone than play it yourself.

#10 User is offline   gahran 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:32 PM

Oh shit Pittsburgh has a team.

https://mobile.twitter.com/knightsgg

Pittsburgh Knights, sporting the right colors too.
Now I'm interested.

#11 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:05 PM

ESPN forced a player to change the uniform of his Street Fighter character because it was too revealing.

#12 User is offline   ECBucs 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:35 PM

the drone flying competition is interesting for a few minutes.

Recently heard there is professional Frisbee. Not sure if it is golf or ultimate or if there is both.

Don't think I would pay to watch it.

#13 User is online   Ma13tt0 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:05 AM

I get it but I also don't. I don't like Starcraft or League of Legends but at the same time I can dig how fast those guys are when they do stuff. The fighting games are also kinda cool to watch but I've only ever been interested in highlights. That said Korea loves that shit and its spreading for sure. They fill entire areans for that shit. My buddy got to go into and watch the finals in Vegas a year ago. His buddy is a rep for Budweiser and apparently the only thing nerds love more than games and hentai is beer.

Posted Image

Twitch I only watch people that are actually funny play games, and generally its used as background noise.
"Penguin and ma13tt0 vindicated" - PF82 12/12/12 8:35 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic