• You cannot reply to this topic

Random Travel Thread Rate Topic: -----

#561 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:26 AM

View PostMidnight Moose, on 14 April 2017 - 06:00 AM, said:

Kentucky doctor David Dao suffered a broken nose, a "significant" concussion, lost two front teeth and will require reconstructive surgery.

http://chicagoist.co...ose_signifi.php

United is so going to pay this guy.

His attorney ran point on the NHL/NFL concussion lawsuits.
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.

#562 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:47 AM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 14 April 2017 - 08:26 AM, said:

His attorney ran point on the NHL/NFL concussion lawsuits.

Leadership and process failures on United's part. First, they created an overbooking policy that is designed almost solely to protect their profitability. Not only that but the policy was created that left enforcement with the lowest levels of the organizational chain. Then those people have to outsource enforcement to the airport police force. In short, leadership created a policy that they couldn't enforce on their own.

That is bad enough but they likely constrained the people implementing the policy. I'm guessing but the gate agents were probably only authorized to offer up to $800 in credits. That meant that if no one settled for that, they had to take people who paid off the flight, which again is completely one sided. Once that happened, the gate agents had to call the civil authorities to settle a contractual problem. Quite honestly, the police had no business being there. This was a civil issue, not a legal issue. So the constraints placed on the employees and the one-sided policy created a problem.

United is completely in the wrong. They made a contractual agreement to fly that person to his destination. While there may be language on the ticket about bumping passengers, it is likely not legally enforceable since it is completely one sided.

If they are going to have an over booking policy (and they shouldn't), it should have include a hotline to management so gate agents can authorize higher payments for voluntary bumps. Airports should have their own policy that they will not intervene in contractual issues with passengers. That passenger did nothing wrong in a legal sense. The only thing he did was violate and likely enforceable contract clause.

You can bet that every airline is highly pissed with United now. The cost of bumping people from flight just went up astronomically. I know that I will not volunteer to get off a flight until they make at least a four-digit offer for cash.

This was pure greed on United's part. They overbook as a rule to protect their profitability. They didn't make a reasonable offer to get volunteers, again because it's money out of their pocket. They didn't use their reciprocity agreement, likely because of cost. They didn't find another way, like flying the crew to Cincinnati and letting them drive to Louisville. They didn't even try to get another crew. They took the easiest and what they thought would be the least expensive way to clear four passenger seats for their employees. They were greedy and now they are going to pay much, much more than they would have, had they not been so greedy.
"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017
Winter's response to my post that Trump may have raped a teenage girl.

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#563 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:54 AM

Whatever, dude is lucky it was only two teeth.

Now, the guy that was eating lunch on a United flight from Houston to Calgary has a real case. A scorpion fell on his head and stung him. All we need is for terrorists to use killer animals to take over a plane.

#564 User is offline   BadAndy79 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:52 AM

I'm going to California in 3 weeks. I will be going up and down the coast the whole week. Whatever game of chicken Trump and North Korea are playing better get that shit settled by then one way or the other.

#565 User is offline   oblongatta 

• Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:04 AM

A friend of mine forward this rather interesting take on the United scenario:

United Passenger “Removal”: A Reporting and Management Fail

(I don't vouch for the source, I'm notsure I've ever read "nakedcapitalism" before but the article seems well researched).

Probably the most interesting part is that the plane was NOT overbooked.
You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
You're pretty on the inside,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.

Share this topic:

• 29 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic