• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Personal Investing Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:34 PM

I have found that ETFs that track the indices beat any of the best investors every year, and you don't even have to pay all the management fees. Vanguard has two cheap ones with VOO and VOOG, that have beat neart every ace Wal Street Trader every year. Takes the guess work out of it on your larger investments and you can still dabble with some other money if you'd like.
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.

#22 User is offline   Midnight Moose 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:00 AM

View Postdonwengert4life, on 19 March 2017 - 04:27 PM, said:

Fuckin' A. I will be the last one laughing.

Funny thing is, my Grandmother used to garden, and can the produce from it. She had a cellar full of canned stuff. She was really good at, too, her stuff was well-preserved. Then late one night, my Uncle came home drunk as a Lord, put some stuff on the stove to cook, then passed out. My Grandma and Uncle both escaped the resulting fire (thank God), but only with the clothes on their back. The house burned to the ground. They lost everything, including all those canned goods.

The point of my sad, but true story is shit happens, and the best-laid plans of mice and men are sometimes for naught. And if you're cooking, don't fall asleep drunk.

#23 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:22 AM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 19 March 2017 - 10:34 PM, said:

I have found that ETFs that track the indices beat any of the best investors every year, and you don't even have to pay all the management fees. Vanguard has two cheap ones with VOO and VOOG, that have beat neart every ace Wal Street Trader every year. Takes the guess work out of it on your larger investments and you can still dabble with some other money if you'd like.

This is good advice. Simple, but hard to beat over the long haul. Well done.

#24 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip

Posted 04 April 2017 - 08:42 PM

Finally watched The Big Short. It was excellent, even though I couldn't understand all of the intricacies.

At the very end of the movie, they shared that one of the main guys that profited with the huge shorts on the sub-prime housing mortgage shortages is now investing heavily in one thing: water.

I've seen this first hand, watching how the Clintons are buying up huge tracts of land in Haiti (right on top of a major aquifer), and how the Bush family has bought up huge trats of land throughout Central America (incidentally on top of the largest freshwater aquifer in the Western Hemisphere). Doing a quick search, I found 3 ETFs that give a nice mix of industrial and utility diversity, with one focused on water treatment and purification.

http://www.investope...top-water-etfs/

This might be a really slow play, but at some point within the next 10 years, you're probably going to have the first war fought over water, and then things could accelerate in a hurry.

#25 User is offline   Jermaine Allensworth 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:49 PM

View PostWinterset Resurrection, on 04 April 2017 - 08:42 PM, said:

Finally watched The Big Short. It was excellent, even though I couldn't understand all of the intricacies.

At the very end of the movie, they shared that one of the main guys that profited with the huge shorts on the sub-prime housing mortgage shortages is now investing heavily in one thing: water.

I've seen this first hand, watching how the Clintons are buying up huge tracts of land in Haiti (right on top of a major aquifer), and how the Bush family has bought up huge trats of land throughout Central America (incidentally on top of the largest freshwater aquifer in the Western Hemisphere). Doing a quick search, I found 3 ETFs that give a nice mix of industrial and utility diversity, with one focused on water treatment and purification.

http://www.investope...top-water-etfs/

This might be a really slow play, but at some point within the next 10 years, you're probably going to have the first war fought over water, and then things could accelerate in a hurry.

Unfortunately there was a huge run-up on water stocks immediately after this movie came out. I agree that water stocks are a good way to go and should be a good long-term investment, but unfortunately they've been overvalued since the movie came out.

#26 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:21 AM

That's interesting, and I appreciate you sharing that before I invested.

I tend to get killed with commodity/industrial stocks like that. You know loooooong-term, they're going to be a good investment, but that might be 5 or 10 or 20 years form now. That can be not fun if you're losing your shirt in the short-term.

#27 User is offline   Jermaine Allensworth 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:53 AM

View PostWinterset Resurrection, on 05 April 2017 - 10:21 AM, said:

That's interesting, and I appreciate you sharing that before I invested.

I tend to get killed with commodity/industrial stocks like that. You know loooooong-term, they're going to be a good investment, but that might be 5 or 10 or 20 years form now. That can be not fun if you're losing your shirt in the short-term.

I've had my eye on Aqua America (WTR) for quite some time. I think the overall market corrects this year, so I'm holding out for it to drop below $26.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic