• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pirates Spring Training Thread Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   NYPirate 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:50 AM

To nobodies surprise, the 5th spot in the rotation looks like it's going to be a dumpster fire. Glasnow has looked shaky and Hutchison was absolutely hammered yesterday. Thank God Neal addressed the rotation this offseason..
``We’ve got some holes we’re looking to fill. We don’t feel like we desperately have to do anything. We’re in a great spot to be in. If we can upgrade, outstanding. Upgrade at an appropriate acquisition cost, even better.’’

#2 User is offline   dcity21 

• Pittsburgh Pirate
  • Pip

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:07 AM

POPULAR

I think the shine has worn off of this team. I think even middle of the road fans realize that this team will not try to compete with what the Cubs have put together and only the diehard front office fans remain in terms of people that are excited for this season.

I've said this before and will say it again, last offseason and the offseason before it pushed me over the edget. Any logical person can put together that this team will never legitimately try to be a serious contender. They had their blatantly obvious chance to make a run at bolstering a VERY good homegrown team with a couple of GOOD FAs but instead wasted money dumpster diving and overpaying shitty vets.

Fuck Bob Nutting.
Baseball is like our nation's government.. They are both horribly broken and unfair systems.. ZING!

#3 User is online   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:33 AM

Me too. I stopped giving a shit after the Pirates made no attempt to improve their lot last offseason.

Frankly, after the Steelers' dumpsterfire of a coaching performance in AFCC, the only Pittsburgh team I'm enjoying right now is the Penguins.

#4 User is online   Dale Berra's Nose 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:59 AM

Well... I'm not on board with this. Fuck Bob Nutting and all, but I'm really looking forward to the Pirates season.
IS THIS THE GAME THREAD???

#5 User is offline   dcity21 

• Pittsburgh Pirate
  • Pip

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:10 PM

View PostDale Berra, on 18 March 2017 - 11:59 AM, said:

Well... I'm not on board with this. Fuck Bob Nutting and all, but I'm really looking forward to the Pirates season.

I'm excited for baseball season because of my fantasy team. The extent that I am excited for the Pirates is that I will target Marte, Polanco, Cutch, and maybe Cole and Taillon for my team and be excited if I get them because I'll be able to watch a good portion of my team on TV if I want to.
Baseball is like our nation's government.. They are both horribly broken and unfair systems.. ZING!

#6 User is offline   jestor92 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:16 PM

View PostWinterset Resurrection, on 18 March 2017 - 10:33 AM, said:

Me too. I stopped giving a shit after the Pirates made no attempt to improve their lot last offseason.

Frankly, after the Steelers' dumpsterfire of a coaching performance in AFCC, the only Pittsburgh team I'm enjoying right now is the Penguins.

I stopped trusting this shitty ownership and management team after they beat the Reds in the wild card game and their big additions were Volquez and I think Jonathan Sanchez. Writing was on the wall then that they weren't interested in winning.
Jose Tabata, Pedro Alvarez, and Andrew McCutchen are the new Jason Kendall, Brian Giles, and Kevin Young (in his prime) players that are good, but surrounded by crap which will make them losers.
Who needs a good team on the field when you have fireworks and bobbleheads!

#7 User is offline   silverspring 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:38 PM

I'm trying to get excited for the season. But I can't.

Not to say they can't be serious contenders, they can. If guys like Taillon and Glasnow slot in well behind Cole, the rotation could be good, and there are scenarios that would lead to a productive offense. This team could win 94 games and I would not be surprised. So it isn't that. What bothers me is that the top of the organization lies and manipulates and actually thinks they can pull the wool over our eyes. They, rather literally, think we're all stupid. And people keep going through the turnstiles, proving them right. They could find themselves with another good team and they still wouldn't spend what it took to really go for it. And people would still lie for them, cover for them, run websites designed specifically to defend them. They've ruined baseball for me and I'm not sure I'll ever love it the same way again. Oh well.

Lets go Bucs?

#8 User is online   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:55 PM

View PostNYPirate, on 18 March 2017 - 08:50 AM, said:

To nobodies surprise, the 5th spot in the rotation looks like it's going to be a dumpster fire. Glasnow has looked shaky and Hutchison was absolutely hammered yesterday. Thank God Neal addressed the rotation this offseason..

It's going to be Brault. Hurdle needs him some left hand action.
"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017
Winter's response to my post that Trump may have raped a teenage girl.

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#9 User is offline   theworldstoilet 

• DTF
  • PipPip

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:01 PM

View Postdcity21, on 18 March 2017 - 09:07 AM, said:

I think the shine has worn off of this team. I think even middle of the road fans realize that this team will not try to compete with what the Cubs have put together and only the diehard front office fans remain in terms of people that are excited for this season.

I've said this before and will say it again, last offseason and the offseason before it pushed me over the edget. Any logical person can put together that this team will never legitimately try to be a serious contender. They had their blatantly obvious chance to make a run at bolstering a VERY good homegrown team with a couple of GOOD FAs but instead wasted money dumpster diving and overpaying shitty vets.

Fuck Bob Nutting.

I agree with all of this.

#10 User is offline   theworldstoilet 

• DTF
  • PipPip

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:01 PM

View PostGoBucs21, on 18 March 2017 - 02:55 PM, said:

And this as well.

#11 User is online   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:05 PM

Fuck Bob Nutting.

Good post.

This team may contend for a WC spot but unless the Cubs come way back to the pack, the Pirates aren't contending for the division. They know that and aren't trying to contend. The owner understands that he maximizes ticket revenues by giving the appearance of contending by having just enough to chase the WC game. It allows him to field a mediocre team with a bottom five payroll and fans will buy into it because the team is within five games of the WC game in late September.
"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017
Winter's response to my post that Trump may have raped a teenage girl.

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#12 User is offline   coolpapacole 

• Utterly irrelevant
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:59 PM

Fuck Bob Nutting.

This should get all the +'s.

#13 User is offline   Gideon Clarke 

• GAY 4 CUTCH!!!
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Bisexual for Kate Upton

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:46 PM

View PostGoBucs21, on 18 March 2017 - 02:55 PM, said:

No way. Neal traded three guys for Hutchison. His spot in the rotation is guaranteed.
"You know, I wish I could go back in time and kick the shit out of the idiot who decided to make kickers part of football."

-Coach Marty Daniels

#14 User is online   Dale Berra's Nose 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:50 PM

You guys act like hating ownership/management isn't a way of life for fans of half the teams in baseball.
IS THIS THE GAME THREAD???

#15 User is offline   Midnight Moose 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:28 AM

View PostDale Berra, on 18 March 2017 - 09:50 PM, said:

You guys act like hating ownership/management isn't a way of life for fans of half the teams in baseball.

Even the fans of some of the higher spending teams get frustrated because they think their GM spends so stupidly, giving mediocre players too much money for too many years. So, they bitch just as much as we do.

#16 User is online   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:52 AM

Yeah, but at least those other teams are trying to win and trying to spend money; the Pirates aren't.

If the ownership of another team is willing to provide a high payroll, but the GM spends it poorly, then that's usually on the GM, he can be fired, and potentially replaced with someone who will do it better. Look at the Cubs. They had high payrolls for a number of years, but it was advocated poorly, and so the team was poor. But trade for Theo Epstein, and BOOM- the money is then properly spent, it is supplemented with better drafts and trades, and all of a sudden, the Cubs are a fucking juggernaut, and probably will be for the next decade.

The problem in Pittsburgh is you have an ownership that won't spend, a GM that can't properly allocate what few resources he is given, and a media completely complicit in all of it. It's a triple fuck.

#17 User is offline   bucc-o-pain 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:28 AM

Wait until you see what Cutch is dumped for when this club is buried by the end of May. Every so often this ownership/management shows you just how little fucks they give.

Wait for it.
Utah, get me two.

#18 User is online   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:30 AM

View Postbucc-o-pain, on 19 March 2017 - 10:28 AM, said:

Wait until you see what Cutch is dumped for when this club is buried by the end of May. Every so often this ownership/management shows you just how little fucks they give.

Wait for it.

I fucking want it at this point.

1. Cutch is a class act, and deserves better. He deserves to legitimately compete for a pennant while still in his prime production years.

2. Maybe selling him off for pennies on the dollar will finally cause fans and the media to start examining Bob Nutting and Neal Huntington more critically.

#19 User is offline   silverspring 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:42 PM

View PostWinterset Resurrection, on 19 March 2017 - 10:30 AM, said:

2. Maybe selling him off for pennies on the dollar will finally cause fans and the media to start examining Bob Nutting and Neal Huntington more critically.

Everyone, not just you winnie, needs to stop saying this.

NOTHING. WILL. EVER. WAKE. UP. THE. NUTTING. EXCUSERS.

You really think most of them don't already know?

They already know.

They are front office fans first, because they see it as "loyalty." It's just as annoying as those STUPID CUNTS that say you're a shit fan if you don't care about the team as much as you did before. I suppose those guys would suck out the cream pie if another dude fucked his wife because it's cool to remain loyal in a one way relationship? Sure your wife cheats on you, but STAY LOYAL.

Fucking idiot.

#20 User is offline   silverspring 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:47 PM

View PostWinterset Resurrection, on 19 March 2017 - 05:52 AM, said:

Yeah, but at least those other teams are trying to win and trying to spend money; the Pirates aren't.

If the ownership of another team is willing to provide a high payroll, but the GM spends it poorly, then that's usually on the GM, he can be fired, and potentially replaced with someone who will do it better. Look at the Cubs. They had high payrolls for a number of years, but it was advocated poorly, and so the team was poor. But trade for Theo Epstein, and BOOM- the money is then properly spent, it is supplemented with better drafts and trades, and all of a sudden, the Cubs are a fucking juggernaut, and probably will be for the next decade.

The problem in Pittsburgh is you have an ownership that won't spend, a GM that can't properly allocate what few resources he is given, and a media completely complicit in all of it. It's a triple fuck.

Exactly. I actually wish Redskins fans understood the difference. Snyder is a piece of shit, but because he interferes, not because he doesn't want to win. If the GM can ever put together a SB contender, Snyder will spend what it takes to keep them together and/or put them over the top. There is zero ambiguity. He wants to win. He will allocate the resources, will approve the risk-taking, often even pushes for it (to the detriment of the team even ).

I'd rather deal with an owner who meddles but might get lucky instead of an owner who pretty much forbids winning.

Share this topic:

• 21 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic