• You cannot reply to this topic

Steeler's Offseason Thread Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   ecbenito 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:27 PM

Fuck the Pats.

Upgrade the secondary, upgrade the pass rush, get a competent backup QB. It would also be nice if Martavis Bryant COULD STAY THE FUCK CLEAN and if Ladarius Green's head wasn't a bowl of pudding

#2 User is offline   jestor92 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:48 PM

They apparently cut Justin Gilbert. Not sure if anyone posted that.
Jose Tabata, Pedro Alvarez, and Andrew McCutchen are the new Jason Kendall, Brian Giles, and Kevin Young (in his prime) players that are good, but surrounded by crap which will make them losers.
Who needs a good team on the field when you have fireworks and bobbleheads!

#3 User is online   jcharding 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:57 PM

I did yesterday. It got buried.
I am nevertheless too sensible of my defects not to think it probable that I may have committed many posting errors.

I always turn to the sports pages first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures.

#4 User is offline   Ma13tt0 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 February 2017 - 01:09 PM

View Postjcharding, on 08 February 2017 - 12:57 PM, said:

I did yesterday. It got buried.

Yeah mostly because nobody cares. It was a risk worth taking but the dude just can't cut it. Joe Thomas even made a remark about it.
"Penguin and ma13tt0 vindicated" - PF82 12/12/12 8:35 PM

#5 User is offline   bucc-o-pain 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 February 2017 - 01:09 PM

View Postecbenito, on 08 February 2017 - 12:27 PM, said:

Fuck the Pats.

Upgrade the secondary, upgrade the pass rush, get a competent backup QB. It would also be nice if Martavis Bryant COULD STAY THE FUCK CLEAN and if Ladarius Green's head wasn't a bowl of pudding

I think it is safe to say that Lardarius isn't coming back.
Utah, get me two.

#6 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:18 PM

Any of the guys they signed to Future contracts worth a damn? Karlos Williams maybe if he can stay clean.

#7 User is offline   Ma13tt0 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:41 PM

View PostNCBuccofan, on 08 February 2017 - 03:18 PM, said:

Any of the guys they signed to Future contracts worth a damn? Karlos Williams maybe if he can stay clean.

I've never heard of any of the guys besides Brandon Brown Dukes and Williams. I think Dukes was on the PS last spring training. Seems to be a bunch of RBs in that group they signed.

#8 User is offline   Grey 

• All Star
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Buccos, Steelers, Pens, PSU, University of Arizona

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:51 PM

View Postbucc-o-pain, on 08 February 2017 - 01:09 PM, said:

I think it is safe to say that Lardarius isn't coming back.

Can they get their money back? I recall the Pats tried to get their money back on a very similar bust signing a few years ago.
Insult a Joebot, today. It's for the good of society.

#9 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:51 PM

View PostMa13tt0, on 08 February 2017 - 04:41 PM, said:

I've never heard of any of the guys besides Brandon Brown Dukes and Williams. I think Dukes was on the PS last spring training. Seems to be a bunch of RBs in that group they signed.

Yep, BBD is the only other one I thought of...I guess for the most part these guys are just camp bodies or practice squad types.

#10 User is offline   Ma13tt0 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:04 PM

View PostGrey, on 08 February 2017 - 04:51 PM, said:

Can they get their money back? I recall the Pats tried to get their money back on a very similar bust signing a few years ago.

Aaron Hernandez?

#11 User is offline   Ma13tt0 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:05 PM

View PostNCBuccofan, on 08 February 2017 - 04:51 PM, said:

Yep, BBD is the only other one I thought of...I guess for the most part these guys are just camp bodies or practice squad types.

Well everyone likes to talk about BBDs, they're great for celebrating wins.

Yeah I think a minute amount actually go on to do anything in the league.

#12 User is offline   NYPirate 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:16 AM

Either this year or next, they need to invest an early draft pick on a QB. I'd rather have him in the system sooner than later, but I don't know enough about this years crop to say it's a must right now. Ben is practically begging them to draft a QB with his retirement drama bullshit.

It would be ironic if the same situation presented itself to Colbert as the one that brought Ben here in the first place.
``We’ve got some holes we’re looking to fill. We don’t feel like we desperately have to do anything. We’re in a great spot to be in. If we can upgrade, outstanding. Upgrade at an appropriate acquisition cost, even better.’’

#13 User is offline   Ma13tt0 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:23 AM

View PostNYPirate, on 09 February 2017 - 11:16 AM, said:

Either this year or next, they need to invest an early draft pick on a QB. I'd rather have him in the system sooner than later, but I don't know enough about this years crop to say it's a must right now. Ben is practically begging them to draft a QB with his retirement drama bullshit.

It would be ironic if the same situation presented itself to Colbert as the one that brought Ben here in the first place.

100% agree. You're probably gonna get someone like Kaaya or Davis Webb. I don't know what next years draft would have though. Lamar Jackson, Darnold from USC maybe. But you're back to those guys probably not falling far enough for them to grab him.

#14 User is offline   bucc-o-pain 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2017 - 12:19 PM

View PostNYPirate, on 09 February 2017 - 11:16 AM, said:

I would definitely wait until next year to draft a QB. This team's window is closing but not before next year, so I would use this draft to supplement the current squad. At least with all of the higher picks like rounds 1-4.
Utah, get me two.

#15 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip

Posted 09 February 2017 - 12:51 PM

View Postbucc-o-pain, on 09 February 2017 - 12:19 PM, said:

I would definitely wait until next year to draft a QB. This team's window is closing but not before next year, so I would use this draft to supplement the current squad. At least with all of the higher picks like rounds 1-4.

I see what you're saying, but you also don't want to get in a position where Ben retires, and you HAVE to draft a QB. That leads to teams using a very high pick for a QB not always worth the pick, and then having to spend a few years trying to make the guy into a franchise QB, even if he's not.

Starting this year, if a highly-rated QB falls to the Steelers in the 1st-2nd round, I would absolutely take him, and not think twice about it. As others have said, there's not really an immediate glaring need (outside of WR, IMO) that has to be filled ASAP. This is a rare luxury year where the Steelers really can use a pick on a guy like a QB without it burning them.
"The problem in this country, is that almost no one's sense of community or country extends beyond their wallet." -GoBucs

"Just let everyone do whatever they want. Sports are entertainment. Stop taking them so seriously." -PSU4Lyfe

#16 User is offline   ECBucs 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 09 February 2017 - 12:53 PM

View PostWinterset Resurrection, on 09 February 2017 - 12:51 PM, said:

I see what you're saying, but you also don't want to get in a position where Ben retires, and you HAVE to draft a QB. That leads to teams using a very high pick for a QB not always worth the pick, and then having to spend a few years trying to make the guy into a franchise QB, even if he's not.

Starting this year, if a highly-rated QB falls to the Steelers in the 1st-2nd round, I would absolutely take him, and not think twice about it. As others have said, there's not really an immediate glaring need (outside of WR, IMO) that has to be filled ASAP. This is a rare luxury year where the Steelers really can use a pick on a guy like a QB without it burning them.

the
highly rated QB has to be highly rated on his skills, not just in comparison to others available in this draft.

#17 User is offline   Ma13tt0 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2017 - 12:58 PM

Notes from Rotoworld

According to Bleacher Report's Mike Freeman, "several teams" have inquired on the availability of Antonio Brown, but the Steelers have said "hell no."
It doesn't come as a surprise. Despite all of the off-field "antics" that have been talked about the past month, Brown remains a fixture in Pittsburgh and part of the present and future. President Art Rooney II has already said an extension for Brown is a priority. In an interview with Freeman, however, Brown did admit he has some "growing up to do" as he's about to turn 29.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Ed Bouchette is "not sure" the Steelers will re-sign free agent ILB Lawrence Timmons.
A career Steeler, Timmons is likely facing his last chance at a big-money pay day going on age 31 and coming off a solid season. Bouchette believes Timmons' "demands may be too much for (the Steelers') taste." If Timmons walks, the Steelers are expected to turn to in-house run thumper Vince Williams as their "Buck" linebacker, playing next to athletic "Mack" 'backer Ryan Shazier.

I'm kinda shocked that Timmons is only 31. Then again he was really young when he got drafted. I'd like him back, depends on the price though.

#18 User is offline   oblongatta 

• Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 09 February 2017 - 01:00 PM

(1) I don't get the idea that Ladarius Green is gone. He may have concussion issues the rest of his career but frankly he was pretty damn good out there when he did play. That alone is worth his cap hit for at least another year.

(2) I think you wait on a QB and get one when Ben is done. I'm fine with another mid-round gamble on a backup even if it hasn't been a success. I think you need your QB to be a franchise level. The majority of those come in the first round. They'll have to wait until Ben retires and either trade up or have a year in which that suck enough that trading up is a possibility. That's just the way it is. The last think I want is some mid-tier QB who is good enough to start but isn't going to have a shot at being the best.
You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
You're pretty on the inside,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.

#19 User is offline   jestor92 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 09 February 2017 - 01:08 PM

Not Steelers news but i see Cleveland cut josh mccown. Didn't they turn down draft picks for him last season
Jose Tabata, Pedro Alvarez, and Andrew McCutchen are the new Jason Kendall, Brian Giles, and Kevin Young (in his prime) players that are good, but surrounded by crap which will make them losers.
Who needs a good team on the field when you have fireworks and bobbleheads!

#20 User is offline   Ma13tt0 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2017 - 01:18 PM

View Postjestor92, on 09 February 2017 - 01:08 PM, said:

Not Steelers news but i see Cleveland cut josh mccown. Didn't they turn down draft picks for him last season

They said they wouldn't trade him unless it was for a high draft pick.

Share this topic:

• 44 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic