Pittsburgh Pirates: Pirates off season thread - Pittsburgh Pirates

• 100 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pirates off season thread Because we're still a Pirates board? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Cobra 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 October 2016 - 04:12 PM

Well, my drive for the playoffs thread was a complete bust, but I'm pressing on since we need an off season thread, no? Where else will we comment on key roster decisions? The annual Rule 5 crisis? The latest injury news? The dynamite trades that will put the team in great shape for a return to glory in 2017?

We can do this.

#2 User is offline   Cobra 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 03 October 2016 - 04:24 PM

Travis Sawchik's off season agenda for the Pirates:

http://triblive.com/...-mccutchen-club

If all they can get for McCutchen is a mid-level prospect or a third starter, they shouldn't trade him and hope for a bounce back.

#3 User is offline   BadAndy79 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 03 October 2016 - 05:30 PM

As I said in another thread McCutchen/Houston would be an ideal match. Dallas Keuchel had an off year similar to Gerrit Cole this season. He has 2 arb years remaining. I think they could also get Kyle Tucker and David Paulino.

If the Pirates wont shell out for Ivan Nova they NEED to acquire a #2-#3 starter. Kuhl and Glasnow you can get by on BOR. Kingham will be here next June.

This offseason will make or break Huntington. Another losing season he will be the first to go with Hurdle and his coaching staff not far behind.

#4 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 October 2016 - 05:54 PM

View PostBadAndy79, on 03 October 2016 - 05:30 PM, said:

As I said in another thread McCutchen/Houston would be an ideal match. Dallas Keuchel had an off year similar to Gerrit Cole this season. He has 2 arb years remaining. I think they could also get Kyle Tucker and David Paulino.

If the Pirates wont shell out for Ivan Nova they NEED to acquire a #2-#3 starter. Kuhl and Glasnow you can get by on BOR. Kingham will be here next June.

This offseason will make or break Huntington. Another losing season he will be the first to go with Hurdle and his coaching staff not far behind.

I like Kyle Tucker but I don't know if I would like him as the centerpiece back for Cutch.
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.

#5 User is offline   BadAndy79 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 03 October 2016 - 06:55 PM

I'd take Lance McCullers as the centerpiece but his command is just as rough as Glashow's.

#6 User is offline   Thunder 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 03 October 2016 - 09:36 PM

View PostBadAndy79, on 03 October 2016 - 05:30 PM, said:

Just like we shouldn't have counted on Glasnow to be up in June this season, I wouldn't make big plans for Kingham to be ready in June 2017. In fact, I expect Huntington to use Glasnow's struggles as ammunition to not rush Kingham.

#7 User is offline   Vegetable 

• El Conquistador
  • PipPip

Posted 03 October 2016 - 09:52 PM

View PostThunder, on 03 October 2016 - 09:36 PM, said:

Just like we shouldn't have counted on Glasnow to be up in June this season, I wouldn't make big plans for Kingham to be ready in June 2017. In fact, I expect Huntington to use Glasnow's struggles as ammunition to not rush Kingham.

Yeah. I don't think counting on any rookie pitchers to come up in mid season is rhe answer. Even if they work out like Taillon, you're still committing first half starts to questionable talent like Boom Boom Niese.
"We’ll be comfortable adding one (starter),” he said. “We’ll be comfortable adding nobody if it’s just not there. We don’t feel we are driven to force it. If we can add one that makes sense for us, that’s great. If we can add two that make sense … then we do that.”
Opie Taylor. In a decisive moment.

#8 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 04 October 2016 - 10:15 AM

View PostThunder, on 03 October 2016 - 09:36 PM, said:

I don't think we should count on Kingham being a factor at all next year. Being optimistic, he does not profile as much more than a mid rotation guy anyways, which is fine, but expecting anything better than back rotation production in '18 would be silly.

#9 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 04 October 2016 - 10:23 AM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 03 October 2016 - 05:54 PM, said:

I like Kyle Tucker but I don't know if I would like him as the centerpiece back for Cutch.

Sawchick is saying Cutch wont be with the team after 2018 anyways, so get something now. If the best you can get is a mid rotation starter and a mid level prospect, you might as well hold on to him and hope he plays better for a trade after 2017.

I do not get how McCutchen will be playing too well for the Pirates to afford him in 2019, but he is not worth paying in 2017.

He also wants to trade the McCutchen replacement and Glasnow for Archer?

#10 User is offline   silverspring 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 October 2016 - 01:08 PM

Cutch returning to MVP form is more likely to happen than the Pirates getting equal value back in a trade. Plus, if he does return to MVP form, aren't we more likely to win a division with him in the lineup and not in Houston? So fucking what if he's gone after 2018?

That still gives us 2 more chances to win a champi... oh. That's right. That isn't the goal.

#11 User is offline   LegendaryLloyd 

• GCL Pirate

Posted 04 October 2016 - 05:36 PM

I love McCutchen, and it would be sad to see the face of the franchise traded away. But look at it from the other side, as a GM interested in him. What is McCutchen and his body type going to be good at when he's in his mid-30s? I'm just unsure and dreading to find out what we can actually get in return.

#12 User is offline   Vegetable 

• El Conquistador
  • PipPip

Posted 04 October 2016 - 11:45 PM

I'd wait until the 2017 trade deadline and re-evaluate the Cutch situation. If he's playing like Cutch at that point and the team is contending for the division (not just wildcard), keep him the rest of the season and trade him next offseason. If the team isn't contending, get what you can at the trade deadline. Should bring a good return with 1 1/2 seasons of control left. And you've getting Meadows a half to a full season of AAA experience.
"We’ll be comfortable adding one (starter),” he said. “We’ll be comfortable adding nobody if it’s just not there. We don’t feel we are driven to force it. If we can add one that makes sense for us, that’s great. If we can add two that make sense … then we do that.”
Opie Taylor. In a decisive moment.

#13 User is offline   Gideon Clarke 

• GAY 4 CUTCH!!!
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Bisexual for Kate Upton

Posted 05 October 2016 - 12:35 AM

I just can't picture the Pirates winning the World Series without Andrew McCutchen. I don't think it's even possible, as long as Nutting owns the team. I suppose if another superstar with an MVP-caliber bat (or pitching arm) and a Christ-like degree of patience & loyalty came along, it could happen, but that guy's not in the system right now.

Trading McCutchen to get that guy is a pipe dream. If there's anything Huntington sucks at, it's getting anything of value at all when trading quality major players. I don't trust Huntington to trade Andrew McCutchen. The team is better off with two years of McCutchen than the eight failed prospects that Huntington would get by trading him.
"You know, I wish I could go back in time and kick the shit out of the idiot who decided to make kickers part of football."

-Coach Marty Daniels

#14 User is offline   CRIMHEAD 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 October 2016 - 12:52 AM

Don't trade Cutch. He's going to bounce back and be worth way more than his salary.
CRIM

#15 User is offline   Trey_Beamon 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 October 2016 - 07:49 AM

Someone proposed this trade on bucsdugout and I thought it was interesting (not that I'd necessarily do it):

Pirates get: Christian Yelich, three top 10 Marlins prospects
Marlins get: Cutch, Glasnow, cash

That said, I agree with many of you and prefer to keep Cutch. I don't like the idea of trading your franchise player at his lowest value, nor I am confident in NEAL bringing back a proper return.

#16 User is online   donwengert4life 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 October 2016 - 08:33 AM

View PostTrey_Beamon, on 05 October 2016 - 07:49 AM, said:

Someone proposed this trade on bucsdugout and I thought it was interesting (not that I'd necessarily do it):

Pirates get: Christian Yelich, three top 10 Marlins prospects
Marlins get: Cutch, Glasnow, cash

That said, I agree with many of you and prefer to keep Cutch. I don't like the idea of trading your franchise player at his lowest value, nor I am confident in NEAL bringing back a proper return.

Assuming the Marlins have a good system and those three prospects aren't a pile of chud, I would be tempted.

I worry about Cutch. While I do think he will rebound he is coming up on 30 so there is a good chance he isn't going to rebound to the level where he had been. Glasgow also gives cause for concern with his lack of command and inability to hold runners. He has great stuff but he has some pretty significant things to get straightened out. And I love Yelich.

But that, as you say, would not be in character for Neal. He'll trade Cutch for 5 mid-level prospects and probably only one or two of those guys will ever make the major leagues.

#17 User is offline   jcharding 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 05 October 2016 - 08:36 AM

Why are Marlin prospects better than Glasnow? And if the Pirates traded Cutch .. with cash ... that might be the ultimate fuck you to fans.
I am nevertheless too sensible of my defects not to think it probable that I may have committed many posting errors.

I always turn to the sports pages first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures.

#18 User is offline   Ma13tt0 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 October 2016 - 10:19 AM

View PostCRIMHEAD, on 05 October 2016 - 12:52 AM, said:

Don't trade Cutch. He's going to bounce back and be worth way more than his salary.

Yeah I dont want them to trade Cutch. It finally felt like the carousel of suck finally slowed down. If we trade Cutch for prospects, which I doubt they turn out because its the Pirates, we're right back to the years of Jason Bay.
"Penguin and ma13tt0 vindicated" - PF82 12/12/12 8:35 PM

#19 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 05 October 2016 - 11:06 AM

McCutchen says that he will be open to moving off CF when it is hurting the team.

He does not see any reason to move off of CF at this time.

#20 User is offline   gahran 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 05 October 2016 - 11:35 AM

McC off CF is exactly what should happen.

Share this topic:

• 100 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic