• You cannot reply to this topic

2015-16 TV season thread Rate Topic: -----

#681 User is offline   Grbac18 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:40 PM

View Postoblongatta, on 06 February 2017 - 11:02 AM, said:

Is anyone watching the Expanse on SciFi? I saw an ad so recorded it. When I started to watch what I thought was the first episode I saw the previously on the Expanse... Apparently it was the first episode of Season 2. I went and watched the first episode of season 1 and it was pretty good. I now have to decide if I continue through and watch all of season 1 or skip it.

Ha! That is exactly what happened to me. Ads looked good, so thought I'd give it a shot. Had no idea it was on last season.

I'm also interested if anyone is watching and if its worth following.

#682 User is offline   oblongatta 

• Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:02 AM

got caught up on several shows recently...

The Walking Dead is definitely better this half than it was in the first half of the season. I think we're heading towards an end of the season battle. Even with some less than stellar episodes, that show is really doing a good job of investigating different leadership styles and communities.

I've been watching the Magicians on SyFy. It's based on a book I never read but heard was decent. The first season started out decent. It looked like it was going to explore some really cool ideas. It had a slight problem of bordering on being hokey. Well this season it just went off the rails. The dialogue is just cringe worthy. It's like an old episode of MTV's Undressed (anyone remember that?). The look like they could have a really neat storyline of someone getting pregnant from a God. I like the idea of exploring what demigod would be like in modern society. Frankly, I have no hope that this is going to do it justice. My guess is the Rick Riordan books (geared towards kids) did a better job than this series will. (On a related note, I'm looking forward to the TV adaptation of Gaiman's American Gods)

I finally got a chance to see Stranger Things. It was good, I enjoyed it but frankly it was fairly mediocre SyFy. There wasn't much new or novel to it. My favorite parts were the nostalgia of the era. The thing I think the show did really well was use a less technologically advanced age as an advantage in keeping things a mystery. It was good enough that I'll watch the second season but the Sci-Fi and Horror aspects are really very standard fare using many well known tropes. Oh and I love the opening sequence. That 80s ambient synth pop over the old 70s-80s neon glowing script perfectly captures TV from that era.
You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.

#683 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:02 PM

View PostGoBucs21, on 26 January 2017 - 09:42 PM, said:

Just finished the first two episodes and it's outstanding. It's the perfect combination of story line and cliff hanger. I started watching Designated Survivor and lost interest because there is simply too much shit going on to be remotely believable. Sneaky Pete doesn't suffer from this problem at all. It's very good.

I've been watching Timeless because I love anything associated with time travel. It's good but not great. I will keep watching until it's less than good.

Good call on Sneaky Pete!

#684 User is offline   oblongatta 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 March 2017 - 10:45 AM

I saw the Americans showed up on my tivo this week. I'm really looking forward to watching that sometime this weekend.

#685 User is offline   Uber Bier Mensch 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 10 March 2017 - 02:07 PM

Has anyone else watched Patriot on Amazon Prime? It's the right kind of odd for me. The quirkiness is early Cohen brothers like.
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln

#686 User is offline   Jermaine Allensworth 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 11 March 2017 - 03:27 AM

View Postoblongatta, on 10 March 2017 - 10:45 AM, said:

I saw the Americans showed up on my tivo this week. I'm really looking forward to watching that sometime this weekend.

Just watched it, it was unfortunately pretty boring.

#687 User is offline   Pantsless Jose Lind 

• The Ugandan Giant
  • PipPip
  • Interests:I enjoy playing second base and cocaine.

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:22 PM

Anyone watching Legion? I'm about 3 episodes in and I really like everything about it so far. One of the most beautifully and stylistically shot shows I've ever seen. Also the female lead played the daughter in Season 2 of Fargo and she's fucking gorgeous.
"What other businesses do you expect to lose money for your entertainment?" --sisyphus -UPPMD

#688 User is offline   oblongatta 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:03 AM

View PostJermaine Allensworth, on 11 March 2017 - 03:27 AM, said:

Just watched it, it was unfortunately pretty boring.

I don't know that I'd say it was pretty boring. It was definitely low action but I thought there was a lot of interesting aspects to it. I think after last year's big ending this is a nice transition episode. I like this better that a big action start where you have to try to find out what happened to get here (or last seasons big time period break).

Two things of note...

I loved the sequence with the two handlers for as short as it was. The two lines of "Those two don't fear anything." followed by the other saying "those two fear everything." was just brilliant writing.

I think you can really see the transition to mid-80s culture. I think many people that didn't live that era think of the 70s and then the 80s. It wasn't that way really. I think there were three eras, what we think of as the 70s, a 70s-80s transition era and then in the mid 80s was what most people think of as 80s culture. The first couple seasons of the Americans was that 70s-80s transition era.

#689 User is offline   Midnight Moose 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:36 AM

View PostPantsless Jose Lind, on 12 March 2017 - 08:22 PM, said:

Anyone watching Legion? I'm about 3 episodes in and I really like everything about it so far. One of the most beautifully and stylistically shot shows I've ever seen. Also the female lead played the daughter in Season 2 of Fargo and she's fucking gorgeous.

I'm watching it. I didn't read the comic book, so I'm kind of lost. But as long as I'm able to follow it closely, with no distractions, I can keep up.

#690 User is offline   NYPirate 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:42 AM

Anyone watching Billions? I love that show.
``We’ve got some holes we’re looking to fill. We don’t feel like we desperately have to do anything. We’re in a great spot to be in. If we can upgrade, outstanding. Upgrade at an appropriate acquisition cost, even better.’’

#691 User is offline   Midnight Moose 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:47 AM

View PostNYPirate, on 13 March 2017 - 11:42 AM, said:

Anyone watching Billions? I love that show.

I'm watching it, too. Also Feud: Bette and Joan, with Jessica Lange and Susan Sarandon - which I think is pretty well done so far.

#692 User is offline   gahran 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:10 PM

Walking Dead has been trending in a positive direction again recently, but it'll take more than this to get my full enthusiasm back

#693 User is offline   oblongatta 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:15 PM

View Postgahran, on 13 March 2017 - 01:10 PM, said:

Walking Dead has been trending in a positive direction again recently, but it'll take more than this to get my full enthusiasm back

Yep. I noted that about a week ago. Last night was the first episode in a long time I watched on the same night it was broadcast. Good episode too. I think it's going to be cool to hopefully see Carol and Morgan kicking some ass.

#694 User is offline   Pantsless Jose Lind 

• The Ugandan Giant
  • PipPip

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:50 PM

View PostMidnight Moose, on 13 March 2017 - 11:36 AM, said:

I'm watching it. I didn't read the comic book, so I'm kind of lost. But as long as I'm able to follow it closely, with no distractions, I can keep up.

Neither did I. I don't know that theres much to gleaned from it other than Legion is a really powerful mutant with telepathic abilities who was assumed to have schizophrenia. Its just a cool show.

i do know how the character ties into the Marvel Universe but since they haven't revealed that through 3 episodes, I won't spoil it for you if its even a spoiler.
"What other businesses do you expect to lose money for your entertainment?" --sisyphus -UPPMD

#695 User is offline   oblongatta 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:08 PM

View PostPantsless Jose Lind, on 13 March 2017 - 05:50 PM, said:

Neither did I. I don't know that theres much to gleaned from it other than Legion is a really powerful mutant with telepathic abilities who was assumed to have schizophrenia. Its just a cool show.

i do know how the character ties into the Marvel Universe but since they haven't revealed that through 3 episodes, I won't spoil it for you if its even a spoiler.

I have the first episode on tivo but haven't watched it yet. I did read the comics. I have a question based upon your post but since it might be related to the 2nd sentence and/or possibly a spoiler (and really this might be a big spoiler so don't read unless you have read the comics)...

Spoiler

#696 User is offline   Sloshy 

• Lynchburg Hillcat

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:46 PM

View Postoblongatta, on 13 March 2017 - 10:03 AM, said:

I don't know that I'd say it was pretty boring. It was definitely low action but I thought there was a lot of interesting aspects to it. I think after last year's big ending this is a nice transition episode. I like this better that a big action start where you have to try to find out what happened to get here (or last seasons big time period break).

Two things of note...

I loved the sequence with the two handlers for as short as it was. The two lines of "Those two don't fear anything." followed by the other saying "those two fear everything." was just brilliant writing.

I think you can really see the transition to mid-80s culture. I think many people that didn't live that era think of the 70s and then the 80s. It wasn't that way really. I think there were three eras, what we think of as the 70s, a 70s-80s transition era and then in the mid 80s was what most people think of as 80s culture. The first couple seasons of the Americans was that 70s-80s transition era.

Totally agree. I think the Americans is one of the best shows on TV right now. And man is it ever mirroring our times... couldn't have known that when they started, but I think the show is really just coming into its own. Excited they may just let it run and we'll get to some late-80's period at some point.

#697 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:57 PM

View Postoblongatta, on 13 March 2017 - 10:03 AM, said:

Two things of note...

That line does capture everything about their public and private personas.
People say I am ruthless. I am not ruthless. And if I find the man who is calling me ruthless, I shall destroy him.
Robert F. Kennedy

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#698 User is offline   Midnight Moose 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:25 AM

Boo and I are in a TV-watching lull, since a lot of the shows we watch together are finishing their seasons, and other shows that we watch together don't start their seasons until April. So, to fill in the lag-time, we've started watching Homeland. We're halfway through season 1. I'm not sure how I managed to not watch that show for 6 years, but boy, it it well done so far.

#699 User is offline   ECBucs 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:22 PM

watched Trial and Error last night and liked it. Don't think it could make it as long term series but good as limited event.

#700 User is offline   Pantsless Jose Lind 

• The Ugandan Giant
  • PipPip

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:32 PM

I just finished Legion. It was very difficult to follow for about 4 or 5 episodes, but when they put it all together with Aubrey Plaza's character and you kind of understood why it was so non linear, IMO, it became the best thing Marvel has ever put to film. High praise. Extremely stylish and well acted.

FX is hitting home run after home run lately. Two of their shows I watch, Legion and Baskets, featured acting performances from Louie Anderson and Aubrey Plaza that are going to be difficult to touch.

Share this topic:

• 36 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic