Steeler's Offseason Thread Rate Topic: -----

#601 User is offline   oblongatta 

• Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted Yesterday, 10:58 AM

View PostWinterset Resurrection, on 24 March 2017 - 10:43 AM, said:

Yes, I'm sure now that he's taken a great deal of media heat, he's donating a ton of money to repair his image. I would be more interested in how much he gave prior to all of the nonsense he started this year.

google has this neat thing where you can do a search and set a date range to say something like before 2015. Try it sometime. You may not have to ask if Kaepernick did charitable things before he had to repair his image. Seriously, there's literally thousands of hits on his charitable work. I even remember the stores. He created a charity for kids with heart disease. But I'm sure that was all in preparation to repair his image.
You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
You're pretty on the inside,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.

#602 User is offline   silverspring 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted Yesterday, 11:00 AM

All right guys, I have a plan.

1. Someone photoshop a pic to make it look like Landry Jones took a dump on the Constitution.
2. Sign Kaep.
3. Kaep holds a press conference denouncing the Constitution Shitter.
R. Cut Jones.
Q. Profit

#603 User is online   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted Yesterday, 11:05 AM

View PostWinterset Resurrection, on 24 March 2017 - 10:26 AM, said:

Again, as an employee of the NFL, Kaepernick does not have the same free speech rights during an NFL event. People don't realize this, but it's an important distinction to make.

He absolutely does. What the NFL does as a private entity has nothing to do with inhibiting his right to express his opinion. I don't defend the NFL but they've done nothing to limit his right to speak out.
People say I am ruthless. I am not ruthless. And if I find the man who is calling me ruthless, I shall destroy him.
Robert F. Kennedy

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#604 User is online   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted Yesterday, 11:07 AM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 24 March 2017 - 10:46 AM, said:

But that is how he gained popularity and notoriety and built a base. Sure he picked other shock theories after(Mexicans are ruining America, "lock her up", etc).

He also repudiated that theory during the campaign.
People say I am ruthless. I am not ruthless. And if I find the man who is calling me ruthless, I shall destroy him.
Robert F. Kennedy

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#605 User is offline   silverspring 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted Yesterday, 11:52 AM

View PostWinterset Resurrection, on 24 March 2017 - 10:26 AM, said:

Again, as an employee of the NFL, Kaepernick does not have the same free speech rights during an NFL event. People don't realize this, but it's an important distinction to make.

No, he does. But his employer has the ability to react. I have the right to say "I hate spics and Jews!!!! Kill them all!!!" but I'd have to face the consequences if my employer wants to can me for exhibiting poor judgment and racist/anti-Semitic beliefs. I could call someone a wop on the street all I want, but he could punch me in the face.

And probably would, those violent grease balls.

He has the right to do or say what he wants on political issues, but his speech is not protected from retaliation. Unless that's what you mean.

As long as he can't be locked up by the government for saying it, he has the freedom to express himself. What's scary is, they're starting to fine stand ups in Canada for offensive speech. That is ten ways fucked up.

#606 User is offline   silverspring 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted Yesterday, 12:00 PM

View Postoblongatta, on 23 March 2017 - 12:10 PM, said:

eh, just playing devil's advocate.

Hopefully while wearing lifts and a bad wig.

It's the goof of all time. Look but don't touch. Touch but don't taste. Taste but don't swallow. And while you're jumping from one foot to the other he's laughing his sick fucking ass off! He's a tight-ass. He's a sadist. He's an absentee landlord!

#607 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• Pittsburgh Pirate
  • Pip

Posted Yesterday, 02:12 PM

View PostMa13tt0, on 24 March 2017 - 08:48 AM, said:

Right I agree. Although I did think of one example where his talent was outweighed by his off the field issues. Greg Hardy. Dude was pretty decent but his issues were too much. Now kneeling for the anthem is not even close to beating the fuck out of your girlfriend.

Hardy was signed by the Cowboys after beating the shit out of the girl.

#608 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• Pittsburgh Pirate
  • Pip

Posted Yesterday, 02:15 PM

View PostWinterset Resurrection, on 24 March 2017 - 10:24 AM, said:

Bill Belichick would. That nonsense would not be tolerated in New England.

I hate to say it, but it's true.

The distraction with Kaepernick is that he knelled last year. How would Belichick prevent that from being a distraction? He cannot time travel. He already said he would stand this year.

I do think part of the reason he is not signed is because he wants starter level money. He did not opt out for a $3 mil deal.

Belichick coaches Gronk, the walking distraction.

There were also rumors that the Steelers forbid anyone from protesting.

#609 User is offline   Ma13tt0 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted Yesterday, 02:27 PM

View PostNCBuccofan, on 24 March 2017 - 02:12 PM, said:

Hardy was signed by the Cowboys after beating the shit out of the girl.

They decided not to re-sign him when they were pretty hard up for pass rushing help. His comments on twitter and his locker room presence didn't help. Nor did his arrest for cocaine possession.
"Penguin and ma13tt0 vindicated" - PF82 12/12/12 8:35 PM

#610 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted Yesterday, 02:30 PM

Ma13tt0, on 24 March 2017 - 02:27 PM, said:

They decided not to re-sign him when they were pretty hard up for pass rushing help. His comments on twitter and his locker room presence didn't help. Nor did his arrest for cocaine possession.

He also only had 6 sacks instead of 15, so his production to distraction ratio didn't balance out. Plus he continued to say and do stupid things(like you mentioned), instead of just laying low and trying to act like he was sorry for nearly killing that poor girl.
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.

#611 User is offline   Pantsless Jose Lind 

• The Ugandan Giant
  • PipPip
  • Interests:I enjoy playing second base and cocaine.

Posted Yesterday, 02:34 PM

oblongatta, on 24 March 2017 - 10:58 AM, said:

google has this neat thing where you can do a search and set a date range to say something like before 2015. Try it sometime. You may not have to ask if Kaepernick did charitable things before he had to repair his image. Seriously, there's literally thousands of hits on his charitable work. I even remember the stores. He created a charity for kids with heart disease. But I'm sure that was all in preparation to repair his image.

You bully.
"What other businesses do you expect to lose money for your entertainment?" --sisyphus -UPPMD

#612 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• Pittsburgh Pirate
  • Pip

Posted Yesterday, 02:37 PM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 24 March 2017 - 02:30 PM, said:

He also only had 6 sacks instead of 15, so his production to distraction ratio didn't balance out. Plus he continued to say and do stupid things(like you mentioned), instead of just laying low and trying to act like he was sorry for nearly killing that poor girl.

Hell, he was proud of what he did to her, and did not hide that he paid her to be quiet. His production went down. Exactly right. If he was a 10-15 sack guy still, he would be on a team.

#613 User is online   DoctorJohnnyFever 

• WiH owns me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted Yesterday, 02:39 PM

Along with Rob Gronkowski being one of the NFL's biggest off field distractions, Bill Belichick also drafted a guy that turned out to be a serial killer, signed a guy after he killed another in a DUI, then picked up another guy off of waivers days after he was released following a DUI.

That Belichick. He puts up up with no trouble makers or distractions.

#614 User is offline   Ma13tt0 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted Yesterday, 02:45 PM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 24 March 2017 - 02:30 PM, said:

True but wasn't he suspended for the beginning of the year?
"Penguin and ma13tt0 vindicated" - PF82 12/12/12 8:35 PM

#615 User is offline   Gideon Clarke 

• GAY 4 CUTCH!!!
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Bisexual for Kate Upton

Posted Yesterday, 05:18 PM

View PostGoBucs21, on 24 March 2017 - 09:47 AM, said:

I would also hope the military officer would understand that he served to protect the speech rights of an American like Kaepernick.

Villanueva on Kaepernick:

http://www.espn.com/...ck-form-protest
"You know, I wish I could go back in time and kick the shit out of the idiot who decided to make kickers part of football."

-Coach Marty Daniels

#616 User is online   Winterset Resurrection 

• We'll Be Ready for that Ass
  • PipPip

Posted Today, 07:26 AM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 24 March 2017 - 10:46 AM, said:

But that is how he gained popularity and notoriety and built a base. Sure he picked other shock theories after(Mexicans are ruining America, "lock her up", etc).

Actually, he was already a name businessman years before Obama ever came onto the scene. If you really wanted to pick some social colloquialism contributing to his political success, I'd say Trump's The Apprentice was far more significant at re-branding him and bringing him back into the mainstream.
"The problem in this country, is that almost no one's sense of community or country extends beyond their wallet." -GoBucs

#617 User is online   Winterset Resurrection 

• PipPip

Posted Today, 07:29 AM

View PostGoBucs21, on 24 March 2017 - 11:05 AM, said:

He absolutely does. What the NFL does as a private entity has nothing to do with inhibiting his right to express his opinion. I don't defend the NFL but they've done nothing to limit his right to speak out.

You're wrong here. As an employee of my organization, I have to uphold the principles of what my organization stands for, even if they do not agree with my own personal beliefs.

For example, someone from the public could write a letter to the editor bashing my organization, or taking a controversial stance on how they think America should be. If I did the same thing, I could be fired for it if my views are not in line with my organization, or would bring undue criticism to it.

Despite how much people cite "FREE SPEECH! FREE SPEECH!", very few truly understand how it works, or when it is applicable.
"The problem in this country, is that almost no one's sense of community or country extends beyond their wallet." -GoBucs

#618 User is online   Winterset Resurrection 

• PipPip

Posted Today, 07:31 AM

View Postsilverspring, on 24 March 2017 - 11:52 AM, said:

No, he does. But his employer has the ability to react. I have the right to say "I hate spics and Jews!!!! Kill them all!!!" but I'd have to face the consequences if my employer wants to can me for exhibiting poor judgment and racist/anti-Semitic beliefs. I could call someone a wop on the street all I want, but he could punch me in the face.

And probably would, those violent grease balls.

He has the right to do or say what he wants on political issues, but his speech is not protected from retaliation. Unless that's what you mean.

As long as he can't be locked up by the government for saying it, he has the freedom to express himself. What's scary is, they're starting to fine stand ups in Canada for offensive speech. That is ten ways fucked up.

There you go. That's another way of looking at it, although I think you may be confusing "free will" with "free speech."

If you are subject to retaliation for what you say, then that is truly not free speech. We still have free will, at least until the year 2037, when the majority of our population is subtlely replaced with shape-shifters and automatons.

Share this topic:

• 31 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic