• You cannot reply to this topic

Pirates Spring Training Thread Rate Topic: -----

#281 User is offline   oblongatta 

• Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted Today, 11:55 AM

I still don't think that Glasnow is the #5. I'd be fine ether way. As I mentioned in a previous discussion, I'd be fine with him working on that 3rd pitch in the minors. I wouldn't wait too long though. I'm still thinking that Glasnow could be better than both Cole and Taillon.
You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
You're pretty on the inside,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.

#282 User is offline   NYPirate 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted Today, 12:06 PM

Jared Hughes placed on release waivers. No idea how much the Pirates are on the hook for.
``We’ve got some holes we’re looking to fill. We don’t feel like we desperately have to do anything. We’re in a great spot to be in. If we can upgrade, outstanding. Upgrade at an appropriate acquisition cost, even better.’’

#283 User is offline   Pantsless Jose Lind 

• The Ugandan Giant
  • PipPip
  • Interests:I enjoy playing second base and cocaine.

Posted Today, 12:13 PM

Curious to see how some here would feel if Trevor Williams pitches decently today and he hypothetically wins the 5th starter job. I mean, I want Glasnow to get the role and he's obviously the better player, but if a combination of Williams pitching well enough to take him north to start the season as the 5, and the feeling that Glasnow needs a little more seasoning occurs, the fact that it's not Hutchison undeservedly getting the role purely to save the front office face puts me a little more at peace with whatever they do with the spot now.
"What other businesses do you expect to lose money for your entertainment?" --sisyphus -UPPMD

#284 User is online   Thunder 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted Today, 12:57 PM

View PostNYPirate, on 29 March 2017 - 12:06 PM, said:

Jared Hughes placed on release waivers. No idea how much the Pirates are on the hook for.

Pretty sure that today is the last day the Pirates can release someone without being obligated for the entire season salary. It should be 45 days, or approximately 1/4 of his salary.

#285 User is online   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted Today, 01:13 PM

View PostThunder, on 29 March 2017 - 12:57 PM, said:

Pretty sure that today is the last day the Pirates can release someone without being obligated for the entire season salary. It should be 45 days, or approximately 1/4 of his salary.

One month's salary.
People say I am ruthless. I am not ruthless. And if I find the man who is calling me ruthless, I shall destroy him.
Robert F. Kennedy

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#286 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• Pittsburgh Pirate
  • Pip

Posted Today, 02:05 PM

View PostVegetable, on 24 March 2017 - 04:04 PM, said:

Jaso hits left handed. Freese may be better as part of a platoon at first base than as the everyday third baseman. Would also open the possibility of moving Harrison back to third with Frazier hitting lead off and playing second. I'd include Bell in a trade for Quintana in a heartbeat.

Yep, that is right, my mistake. I still do not think sending Bell is the right move. He would be more productive than that platoon, and I do not think Harrison can hit enough to even play 2B.

#287 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• Pittsburgh Pirate
  • Pip

Posted Today, 02:09 PM

View PostWinterset Resurrection, on 25 March 2017 - 07:50 AM, said:

Okay, even if you are correct and that IS value, does Quintana elevate the Pirates to a playoff contender?

I say "hell no he doesn't", because our GM just spent the past season decimating the personnel of this team.

Depends on if Bell is in the deal or not. If he is not, probably not. If he is, yes, we are a playoff contender.

#288 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• Pittsburgh Pirate
  • Pip

Posted Today, 02:20 PM

View PostWinterset Resurrection, on 25 March 2017 - 08:15 AM, said:

I'm sorry, but you lost me at the first sentence. I think this has the potential to be the worst bullpen the Pirates have had over the past 15 years.

How do you figure this?

#289 User is offline   jcharding 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted Today, 03:29 PM

View PostNCBuccofan, on 29 March 2017 - 02:20 PM, said:

How do you figure this?

They are throwing a higher percentage of shit at the wall. They do this every year, and they usually cobble something together. But this year the candidates are seemingly crappier than usual.
I am nevertheless too sensible of my defects not to think it probable that I may have committed many posting errors.

I always turn to the sports pages first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures.

#290 User is offline   Pantsless Jose Lind 

• The Ugandan Giant
  • PipPip
  • Interests:I enjoy playing second base and cocaine.

Posted Today, 03:55 PM

Williams threw 4 innings today, giving up 2 hits , no runs, no walks with 6 strikeouts. He's likely made the team as at least a bullpen arm.
"What other businesses do you expect to lose money for your entertainment?" --sisyphus -UPPMD

#291 User is online   Thunder 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted Today, 04:29 PM

View PostGoBucs21, on 29 March 2017 - 01:13 PM, said:

One month's salary.

I believe the one month salary severance deadline was around the middle of March. That's when it's been the past few years. I'd check the new CBA wording, if there was one available to look at. But unless they've published it in the last week, there's nothing online.

#292 User is online   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted Today, 04:48 PM

View PostThunder, on 29 March 2017 - 04:29 PM, said:

I believe the one month salary severance deadline was around the middle of March. That's when it's been the past few years. I'd check the new CBA wording, if there was one available to look at. But unless they've published it in the last week, there's nothing online.

I thought that deadline was opening day.
People say I am ruthless. I am not ruthless. And if I find the man who is calling me ruthless, I shall destroy him.
Robert F. Kennedy

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#293 User is offline   Bustanutting 

• JohnJLambo

Posted Today, 07:14 PM

I definitely feel like the pen isn't going to be an issue this year. We were 5th in NL in reliever ERA and that was without Melancon for a significant stretch at the end. Hudson is a quality sign and should wash with Feliz, at worst. Caminero and Hughes are gone. Both just not good.

The talent is there to have a solid bullpen. This rotation is what I'm worried about and losing Kang is a big blow to the potential offense. Someone call in a favor with immigration, please. Get him a damned visa.

The rotation depth is really sketchy. Kingham might be serviceable. Williams likely will barely hang in there, if at all. Hutchison is godawful. Glasnow has significant issues. Cole had arm fatigue last year.

Very mediocre looking to me. Especially when the DL strikes

Share this topic:

• 15 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic