I don't know why but I find myself cheering for Kentucky

Can they both lose?
Failure is the key to success.

#142 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

• We'll Be Ready for that Ass
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:28 PM

That was one hell of an ending. Just when you thought Kentucky was just going to have to limp to the finish line fouling, they go on a crazy run to come back.

Don't like either team, but still a heck of a game.
"The problem in this country, is that almost no one's sense of community or country extends beyond their wallet." -GoBucs

#143 User is offline   ECBucs 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted Yesterday, 09:31 AM

View PostWinterset Resurrection, on 26 March 2017 - 06:28 PM, said:

That was one hell of an ending. Just when you thought Kentucky was just going to have to limp to the finish line fouling, they go on a crazy run to come back.

Don't like either team, but still a heck of a game.

Living
in Alabama, I hate the final 4.

Constant SEC is great drives me crazy.

#144 User is online   DoctorJohnnyFever 

• WiH owns me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted Yesterday, 07:57 PM

Duquesne hired Akron coach Keith Dambrot.

#145 User is online   DoctorJohnnyFever 

• WiH owns me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted Yesterday, 08:05 PM

Did Duquesne just hire a better coach than Pitt?

#146 User is online   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted Yesterday, 08:19 PM

View PostDoctorJohnnyFever, on 27 March 2017 - 08:05 PM, said:

Did Duquesne join the ACC?
People say I am ruthless. I am not ruthless. And if I find the man who is calling me ruthless, I shall destroy him.
Robert F. Kennedy

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#147 User is offline   oblongatta 

• Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted Yesterday, 08:34 PM

DoctorJohnnyFever, on 27 March 2017 - 08:05 PM, said:

Is there a worse coach?

But hey with a new AD maybe they'll get a new coach.

Also now that Indiana hired Archie Miller, anyone still think Pitt had a shot at him?
You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.

#148 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted Yesterday, 10:16 PM

DoctorJohnnyFever, on 27 March 2017 - 07:57 PM, said:

Duquesne hired Akron coach Keith Dambrot.

Famous for once coaching LeBron
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.

#149 User is offline   Gideon Clarke 

• GAY 4 CUTCH!!!
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Bisexual for Kate Upton

Posted Today, 09:04 AM

View PostDoctorJohnnyFever, on 27 March 2017 - 08:05 PM, said:

That depends. Did they just hire a coach?
"You know, I wish I could go back in time and kick the shit out of the idiot who decided to make kickers part of football."

-Coach Marty Daniels

#150 User is offline   oblongatta 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted Today, 09:34 AM

More crap from Stallings in today's Post-Gazette.

here's some excerpts:

"As I've always heard, the fastest way to a basketball player's head is through his behind," Stallings said. "You stick his behind on the bench and you get to his head faster. The bench just wasn't my friend this year because I couldn't create that accountability that way."

horrible. This guy thinks the way, the only way to get to a player is discipline (benching him). I have no problem with using benching as a tool but frankly motivation through discipline (and subsequent avoidance) simply is not as effective of a tool as motivating a desire to make oneself better.

"I tried to do the ethically right thing, despite the fact maybe I could have made some changes," he said. "I didn't think it was the right thing to do. I try not to make short-term decisions. I try to make long-term decisions for what's in the best interest in the long-term and for the good of the program. Maybe it would have allowed me to have a better season or better start, but the institution awarded those scholarships and I believe they should be honored."

So his biggest problem was depth. And it was a problem because he didn't have enough depth to bench players? And the reason for a lack of depth is he didn't pull 3 scholarships to promising incoming freshman? For ethical reasons? Bullshit. There's no way he couldn't get more recruits? And if he pulled several players more talented than any of those three, I guarantee he would have pulled scholarships.

I really hate this coach.

#151 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted Today, 09:48 AM

Haha people wanted Jamie Dixon gone because of his performance in a 1 game elimination, wildly random tournament. I think those Pitt fans got what they deserved here. You went from a solid basketball coach with some new ideas to hiring your grandpa.
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.

#152 User is offline   oblongatta 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted Today, 10:00 AM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 28 March 2017 - 09:48 AM, said:

Haha people wanted Jamie Dixon gone because of his performance in a 1 game elimination, wildly random tournament. I think those Pitt fans got what they deserved here. You went from a solid basketball coach with some new ideas to hiring your grandpa.

I was on the side with keeping Dixon, but in defense of those that wanted to get rid of him, I'm not sure they were fine with the hire. I'm not willing to say wanting a change makes you deserving of getting crap as a change. Maybe Pitt couldn't have gotten an Archie Miller but they damn well could have gotten someone better than this retread.

#153 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted Today, 10:04 AM

oblongatta, on 28 March 2017 - 10:00 AM, said:

I was on the side with keeping Dixon, but in defense of those that wanted to get rid of him, I'm not sure they were fine with the hire. I'm not willing to say wanting a change makes you deserving of getting crap as a change. Maybe Pitt couldn't have gotten an Archie Miller but they damn well could have gotten someone better than this retread.

But what did the fans expect them to hire? They were never going to pay for someone like Archie Miller, so you had to assume it would either be someone like the coach Duquesne hired or Stallings. Pitt already had a coach that was probably around the ceiling for Pitt coaches.

#154 User is online   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted Today, 10:31 AM

View Postoblongatta, on 28 March 2017 - 09:34 AM, said:

here's some excerpts:

horrible. This guy thinks the way, the only way to get to a player is discipline (benching him). I have no problem with using benching as a tool but frankly motivation through discipline (and subsequent avoidance) simply is not as effective of a tool as motivating a desire to make oneself better.

So his biggest problem was depth. And it was a problem because he didn't have enough depth to bench players? And the reason for a lack of depth is he didn't pull 3 scholarships to promising incoming freshman? For ethical reasons? Bullshit. There's no way he couldn't get more recruits? And if he pulled several players more talented than any of those three, I guarantee he would have pulled scholarships.

I'd fire him for that fucked up leadership philosophy. If the best way to lead is through punishment, he won't be leading for long. I never understood why people believe others don't respond to positive reinforcement.
People say I am ruthless. I am not ruthless. And if I find the man who is calling me ruthless, I shall destroy him.
Robert F. Kennedy

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#155 User is offline   oblongatta 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted Today, 10:48 AM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 28 March 2017 - 10:04 AM, said:

But what did the fans expect them to hire? They were never going to pay for someone like Archie Miller, so you had to assume it would either be someone like the coach Duquesne hired or Stallings. Pitt already had a coach that was probably around the ceiling for Pitt coaches.

I think we had this discussion long ago. I doubt that money was a big issue for Miller though he might have listened to a huge offer. I think the bigger issue is that he felt he was destined for much better and in a short period of time. Going to Pitt wouldn't have done much for him (and he did get the Indiana job one year later). That being said the job surely could have gotten an exciting younger coach (and maybe as the dreaded "stepping stone" job, but who cares if he re-energizes the program). And it is an attractive enough job for that. I probably has more appeal than the Pitt football job and they got a good coach there (albeit with the misfires of Heywood and Graham).

#156 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted Today, 10:54 AM

oblongatta, on 28 March 2017 - 10:48 AM, said:

I think we had this discussion long ago. I doubt that money was a big issue for Miller though he might have listened to a huge offer. I think the bigger issue is that he felt he was destined for much better and in a short period of time. Going to Pitt wouldn't have done much for him (and he did get the Indiana job one year later). That being said the job surely could have gotten an exciting younger coach (and maybe as the dreaded "stepping stone" job, but who cares if he re-energizes the program). And it is an attractive enough job for that. I probably has more appeal than the Pitt football job and they got a good coach there (albeit with the misfires of Heywood and Graham).

Miller got $3.35M per year over 7 years, over $23M in guaranteed dollars. I think we differ on what we believe motivates coaches. First would be money, second is money, third is length of time that money will be paid out on, and then third is the name of a program.

#157 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• Pittsburgh Pirate
  • Pip

Posted Today, 11:05 AM

View Postoblongatta, on 28 March 2017 - 09:34 AM, said:

here's some excerpts:

Didn't all three of those players transfer anyways? How was that a long term help?

#158 User is online   Pantsless Jose Lind 

• The Ugandan Giant
  • PipPip
  • Interests:I enjoy playing second base and cocaine.

Posted Today, 11:41 AM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 28 March 2017 - 10:04 AM, said:

Glad you asked.

They talked to some degree to both Bryce Drew, of Valparaiso at the time, and Andy Enfield of USC by way of Shippensburg PA. I remember specifically Archie Miller declining interest in the Pitt job but I don't recall any of the same from either of these two. Both would've been infinitely better than Stallings. USC won one of the The First Four games and upset SMU in the first round of the tournament. Drew went on to take Stallings' old job at Vanderbilt and was an atrociously dumb foul away from beating Northwestern in the first round.
"What other businesses do you expect to lose money for your entertainment?" --sisyphus -UPPMD

#159 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted Today, 12:13 PM

Pantsless Jose Lind, on 28 March 2017 - 11:41 AM, said:

Glad you asked.

They talked to some degree to both Bryce Drew, of Valparaiso at the time, and Andy Enfield of USC by way of Shippensburg PA. I remember specifically Archie Miller declining interest in the Pitt job but I don't recall any of the same from either of these two. Both would've been infinitely better than Stallings. USC won one of the The First Four games and upset SMU in the first round of the tournament. Drew went on to take Stallings' old job at Vanderbilt and was an atrociously dumb foul away from beating Northwestern in the first round.

Enfield was reportedly contacted for the latest Pitt opening and considering he didn't make the move he was either not interested in the job over the USC job(much better recruiting in LA), or the money wasn't there. So the wishes for Enfield were unrealistic

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic