• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pirates Accountability Thread Rate Topic: -----

#201 User is offline   coolpapacole 

• Utterly irrelevant
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:33 AM

There is nothing to back up the claim that Porter paid off the police. You are simply making shit up. The policeman involved has a history of pulling bullshit like he tried to pull with Porter. Luckily the incident was on tape and there was nothing to back up the BS he claimed.

#202 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:39 AM

coolpapacole, on 20 April 2017 - 11:33 AM, said:

There is nothing to back up the claim that Porter paid off the police. You are simply making shit up. The policeman involved has a history of pulling bullshit like he tried to pull with Porter. Luckily the incident was on tape and there was nothing to back up the BS he claimed.

Yes, to get out of minor charges Joey Porter committed a felony and bribed a cop. Very reasonable
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.

#203 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:44 AM

View Postcoolpapacole, on 20 April 2017 - 11:33 AM, said:

Conspiracy theories are ideological ponzi schemes. You need the next lie to overcome the previous lies.
People say I am ruthless. I am not ruthless. And if I find the man who is calling me ruthless, I shall destroy him.
Robert F. Kennedy

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#204 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:32 PM

View PostWinterset Resurrection, on 20 April 2017 - 05:35 AM, said:

1. Marijuana isn't harmless, and there's countless studies that support that, even if you don't think it's a "real" drug.

2. Smoking of any kind will have a negative affect on a person's health. Professional athletes owe it to their organizations to keep themselves in peak condition until their playing days are over.

3. Even if you ignore the first two (the board usually does), the bottom line is that it's still considered illegal by the NFL, and the NFL is the organization that decides whether players play or not.

4. There was also a bar fight thrown in there for good measure, as someone else pointed out to you.

1 Bullshit
2 Same with eating fast food, what is your point?
3 Holding by the offensive line is also considered illegal.
4 No there wasn't. A black man was refused admission to a bar by an off duty cop.

#205 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:34 PM

View Postcoolpapacole, on 20 April 2017 - 11:33 AM, said:

The video of the actual altercation is why Porter was not charged. It is a reach to even say Porter defended himself, since he did not really even do that.

#206 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:53 PM

View PostNCBuccofan, on 20 April 2017 - 03:32 PM, said:

1 Bullshit
2 Same with eating fast food, what is your point?
3 Holding by the offensive line is also considered illegal.
4 No there wasn't. A black man was refused admission to a bar by an off duty cop.

Really weak post. During our last go-around with marijuana, I posted countless studies that show it has negative side-effects.

But that's even beside the point. Whether you love getting your bake on or not, it's still illegal in the professional sports leagues in which these players play. So if you're still going to smoke in season during drug testing times, then that makes you a dumbass as a player, and you deserve to be suspended as the league's rules dictate.
"The problem in this country, is that almost no one's sense of community or country extends beyond their wallet." -GoBucs

"Just let everyone do whatever they want. Sports are entertainment. Stop taking them so seriously." -PSU4Lyfe

#207 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:27 AM

Winterset Resurrection, on 20 April 2017 - 08:53 PM, said:

Really weak post. During our last go-around with marijuana, I posted countless studies that show it has negative side-effects.

But that's even beside the point. Whether you love getting your bake on or not, it's still illegal in the professional sports leagues in which these players play. So if you're still going to smoke in season during drug testing times, then that makes you a dumbass as a player, and you deserve to be suspended as the league's rules dictate.

It's just uproariously funny that the NFL, currently being sued by former players for breaking federal drug laws and administering dangerous amounts of prescription drugs, charges in on their high horse with regards to marijuana. And also rakes in billions from the alcohol industry, an industry that produces something that has ruined countless lives.

It's just an amazing thing the NFL does.
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.

#208 User is offline   oblongatta 

• Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:46 AM

well, it's one thing to compare effects and risks of marijuana and say alcohol but it's another to say there are no risks or side effects with marijuana usage. It is a drug like any other drug. Just the fact that it is potentially beneficial to people prone to seizure is an indication that it is doing something to the brain. Now in some cases that may be beneficial but for the neurotypical brain it may not be, particularly in the case of overuse. As more research becomes available we are beginning to see more evidence of structural and functional changes in the brain. Some may be "good" and some may be "bad" but there are effects.

I have no problem with the legalization of marijuana, especially for medical uses. But I do have concerns about potential effects on everyday society. Hopefully there will be restrictions on use in the same manner as restrictions on alcohol consumption. Not the same restrictions because they are different drugs but restrictions none the less.
You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.

#209 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:46 PM

View PostWinterset Resurrection, on 20 April 2017 - 08:53 PM, said:

And the last time you posted it, you provided some bullshit examples of why it was harmful. You included some side effects that the reverse is true.

Smoking pot is not equal to a DUI. Nice try.

Smoking pot would actually be helpful to these players. But hey, lets inject them with drugs that are far more harmful instead.

Just because a stupid rule is in place does not make it a good rule.

#210 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:34 AM

View Postoblongatta, on 21 April 2017 - 11:46 AM, said:

well, it's one thing to compare effects and risks of marijuana and say alcohol but it's another to say there are no risks or side effects with marijuana usage. It is a drug like any other drug. Just the fact that it is potentially beneficial to people prone to seizure is an indication that it is doing something to the brain. Now in some cases that may be beneficial but for the neurotypical brain it may not be, particularly in the case of overuse. As more research becomes available we are beginning to see more evidence of structural and functional changes in the brain. Some may be "good" and some may be "bad" but there are effects.

I have no problem with the legalization of marijuana, especially for medical uses. But I do have concerns about potential effects on everyday society. Hopefully there will be restrictions on use in the same manner as restrictions on alcohol consumption. Not the same restrictions because they are different drugs but restrictions none the less.

Yes! An excellent, well-informed post about marijuana that shows the potential benefits, but also delineates that it is a drug, and could have harmful effects on society on the whole.

Posts like this are few and far between here. +1.
"The problem in this country, is that almost no one's sense of community or country extends beyond their wallet." -GoBucs

"Just let everyone do whatever they want. Sports are entertainment. Stop taking them so seriously." -PSU4Lyfe

#211 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:35 AM

View PostNCBuccofan, on 21 April 2017 - 12:46 PM, said:

And the last time you posted it, you provided some bullshit examples of why it was harmful. You included some side effects that the reverse is true.

Smoking pot is not equal to a DUI. Nice try.

That's interesting, because the last time I posted it was before I left for a year, and "NCBuccofan" didn't exist yet.

Just change your name back to "Penguin" and be done with it.

Hi Penguin.

#212 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:04 AM

View Postoblongatta, on 21 April 2017 - 11:46 AM, said:

I don't really care if it's legal or not. But if we are talking about what and how it effects the brain, I'm more concerned about how the game of football effects the brain more than marijuana.
People say I am ruthless. I am not ruthless. And if I find the man who is calling me ruthless, I shall destroy him.
Robert F. Kennedy

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

#213 User is offline   Vegetable 

• El Conquistador
  • PipPip

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:07 PM

If this is the game thread, fuck Babe Ruth.
"We’ll be comfortable adding one (starter),” he said. “We’ll be comfortable adding nobody if it’s just not there. We don’t feel we are driven to force it. If we can add one that makes sense for us, that’s great. If we can add two that make sense … then we do that.”
Opie Taylor. In a decisive moment.

#214 User is offline   BadAndy79 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:21 PM

#CutchHappens

#215 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 24 April 2017 - 02:25 PM

View PostWinterset Resurrection, on 22 April 2017 - 06:34 AM, said:

Yes! An excellent, well-informed post about marijuana that shows the potential benefits, but also delineates that it is a drug, and could have harmful effects on society on the whole.

Posts like this are few and far between here. +1.

Because pot smoking would hurt the brain so much more than running full speed at someone and bouncing your head around.

Someone posted a study on pot smoking here a few months ago.

#216 User is offline   oblongatta 

• Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 24 April 2017 - 02:39 PM

View PostGoBucs21, on 22 April 2017 - 08:04 AM, said:

I don't really care if it's legal or not. But if we are talking about what and how it effects the brain, I'm more concerned about how the game of football effects the brain more than marijuana.

Can I be concerned about both?

But it would also not be correct to say that the game of football effects the brain more than marijuana. They both affect it, and more relevantly, they do so differently. And while I get your point to say the game of football effects it, that is not quite precise enough. It isn't the game itself. It is not playing it itself. It is specific consequences of actions that are much more likely to occur when playing it. I think that nuance is important. Although for a similarity between the two, it is not one hit of marijuana that will led one down to the depths of heroin addiction (that idea is laughable), but it is not one hit on the head in football that will lead to life altering disability.*

* caveat, technically there can be irreparable damage to a single blunt force trauma event to the head as in say boxing or a car crash (and much more likely there), but the current focus on concussion effects due to football is hypothesized to be a result of an excessive buildup of tau
That's better than not pretty at all,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.

#217 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip

Posted 24 April 2017 - 02:40 PM

View PostNCBuccofan, on 24 April 2017 - 02:25 PM, said:

Someone posted a study on pot smoking here a few months ago.

Nice attempted cover. How's the West Coast weather at this time of year?

Swell I hope.

#218 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:12 PM

View Postoblongatta, on 24 April 2017 - 02:39 PM, said:

Can I be concerned about both?

But it would also not be correct to say that the game of football effects the brain more than marijuana. They both affect it, and more relevantly, they do so differently. And while I get your point to say the game of football effects it, that is not quite precise enough. It isn't the game itself. It is not playing it itself. It is specific consequences of actions that are much more likely to occur when playing it. I think that nuance is important. Although for a similarity between the two, it is not one hit of marijuana that will led one down to the depths of heroin addiction (that idea is laughable), but it is not one hit on the head in football that will lead to life altering disability.*

* caveat, technically there can be irreparable damage to a single blunt force trauma event to the head as in say boxing or a car crash (and much more likely there), but the current focus on concussion effects due to football is hypothesized to be a result of an excessive buildup of tau

Sure, I never wrote that you can't. I was simply pointing out that we can discuss what marijuana does to the brains of football players but we should also consider what football is doing to the brains of football players.
Robert F. Kennedy

Robert F. Kennedy

#219 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:14 PM

View PostWinterset Resurrection, on 24 April 2017 - 02:40 PM, said:

Nice attempted cover. How's the West Coast weather at this time of year?

Swell I hope.

Cover what? You are incredibly paranoid.

#220 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:16 PM

View PostNCBuccofan, on 24 April 2017 - 03:14 PM, said:

Cover what? You are incredibly paranoid.

Paranoia is a required characteristic of all conspiracy theorists.
Robert F. Kennedy

Robert F. Kennedy

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic