• You cannot reply to this topic

Pirates Spring Training Thread Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:12 PM

View Postsilverspring, on 19 March 2017 - 12:42 PM, said:

Everyone, not just you winnie, needs to stop saying this.

NOTHING. WILL. EVER. WAKE. UP. THE. NUTTING. EXCUSERS.

You really think most of them don't already know?

They already know.

You are right. As much as I've critiqued McCutchen for not playing well in the postseason, I still respect him as a man, player, and especially for what he's done for the Pittsburgh community.

I was really disappointed to see how quickly fans of the front office turned on him last year before he ever got traded. It's like they knew it was coming, so they wanted to start greasing the wheels early, so that their rush to defend management appeared more natural when Cutch was dumped.

It's despicable. Fans are falling on their collective swords for a small group of men- Nutting in particular- who have gone out of their way to show that they clearly do not give a shit about them.
"The problem in this country, is that almost no one's sense of community or country extends beyond their wallet." -GoBucs

"Just let everyone do whatever they want. Sports are entertainment. Stop taking them so seriously." -PSU4Lyfe

#22 User is offline   ArkansasPirate 

• Pittsburgh Pirate
  • Pip
  • Interests:Sports, hunting, reading.....Pirates, Steelers , and the Arkansas Razorbacks

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:29 PM

I watched them when they were good and when they were bad shitty and I will watch them now and hope for the best...I will also hope that nutting uses racist terms in public and is forced to sell the team

#23 User is offline   silverspring 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:34 PM

View PostArkansasPirate, on 19 March 2017 - 04:29 PM, said:

.I will also hope that nutting uses racist terms in public and is forced to sell the team

You're a goddamned genius, you brilliant son of a bitch.

My only regret is that I have but one plus one to give.

#24 User is offline   Gideon Clarke 

• GAY 4 CUTCH!!!
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Bisexual for Kate Upton

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:01 PM

View PostArkansasPirate, on 19 March 2017 - 04:29 PM, said:

I watched them when they were good and when they were bad shitty and I will watch them now and hope for the best...I will also hope that nutting uses racist terms in public and is forced to sell the team

Quick, schedule Eminem to play PNC Park so Nutting can call him a wigger!
"You know, I wish I could go back in time and kick the shit out of the idiot who decided to make kickers part of football."

-Coach Marty Daniels

#25 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:30 PM

View Postsilverspring, on 19 March 2017 - 12:47 PM, said:

Exactly. I actually wish Redskins fans understood the difference. Snyder is a piece of shit, but because he interferes, not because he doesn't want to win. If the GM can ever put together a SB contender, Snyder will spend what it takes to keep them together and/or put them over the top. There is zero ambiguity. He wants to win. He will allocate the resources, will approve the risk-taking, often even pushes for it (to the detriment of the team even ).

I'd rather deal with an owner who meddles but might get lucky instead of an owner who pretty much forbids winning.

I agree that Dan Snyder wants to win but he wants to win on his terms. He just had a GM that was building a contending team and he fired him. Not only did Snyder fire him, he used his radio station to berate the guy and call him a drunk (without any new evidence). Snyder is a piece of shit because he is morally challenged and an egomaniac. He's a shitty owner for many other reasons, including want to be the GM and owner.
People say I am ruthless. I am not ruthless. And if I find the man who is calling me ruthless, I shall destroy him.
Robert F. Kennedy

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#26 User is offline   silverspring 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:04 PM

View PostGoBucs21, on 19 March 2017 - 07:30 PM, said:

I agree that Dan Snyder wants to win but he wants to win on his terms. He just had a GM that was building a contending team and he fired him. Not only did Snyder fire him, he used his radio station to berate the guy and call him a drunk (without any new evidence). Snyder is a piece of shit because he is morally challenged and an egomaniac. He's a shitty owner for many other reasons, including want to be the GM and owner.

Oh, yeah, like I said he's a piece of shit. Still take him over Nutting.

#27 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:06 AM

View Postsilverspring, on 19 March 2017 - 10:04 PM, said:

Oh, yeah, like I said he's a piece of shit. Still take him over Nutting.

I will have to disagree there. Dan Snyder will throw money at his team, thinking it will help them win but he's just too stupid to know how to spend it.

One could argue that if Snyder surrounded himself with good people, he could be a good owner. This last GM firing shows why that won't happen. By most measures his last GM (I can't spell his name well enough to google even) was very good and starting to achieve results. In general, he was the type of smart guy with whom Snyder should let steer the ship. Unfortunately, Snyder is such a shallow human being, he destroyed the guy in the media and fired him. Snyder's willingness to spend doesn't outweigh his poor spending and his shallow character.

If all I'm left with is Hitler (Snyder) and Trump (Nutting), I have to suffer through Trump.
People say I am ruthless. I am not ruthless. And if I find the man who is calling me ruthless, I shall destroy him.
Robert F. Kennedy

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

#28 User is offline   Bustanutting 

• JohnJLambo

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:17 AM

View PostWinterset Resurrection, on 19 March 2017 - 02:12 PM, said:

You are right. As much as I've critiqued McCutchen for not playing well in the postseason, I still respect him as a man, player, and especially for what he's done for the Pittsburgh community.

I was really disappointed to see how quickly fans of the front office turned on him last year before he ever got traded. It's like they knew it was coming, so they wanted to start greasing the wheels early, so that their rush to defend management appeared more natural when Cutch was dumped.

It's despicable. Fans are falling on their collective swords for a small group of men- Nutting in particular- who have gone out of their way to show that they clearly do not give a shit about them.

I disagree with respect to McCutchen. His defense is so ungodly bad. For years he has been propped up by the very same propagandists you're saying turned on him. I.E. Because he could hit, his crazy-bad defense was overlooked in CF instead of moving his ass to a corner. The dude BLOWS as a center fielder. Probably the worst CF I've seen in the past 3-4 years.

#29 User is offline   silverspring 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:30 AM

View PostBustanutting, on 20 March 2017 - 08:17 AM, said:

I disagree with respect to McCutchen. His defense is so ungodly bad. For years he has been propped up by the very same propagandists you're saying turned on him. I.E. Because he could hit, his crazy-bad defense was overlooked in CF instead of moving his ass to a corner. The dude BLOWS as a center fielder. Probably the worst CF I've seen in the past 3-4 years.

Right but they still turned on him. Nothing you said contradicts winter's point. Or am I missing something?

It happens.

A lot.

#30 User is offline   BadAndy79 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:12 PM

Should Jose Osuna be on the opening day roster?

He's playing an adequate job at 1st base. 5 Home Runs lead all Pirates batters during Spring Training. Bell is batting .053 this spring.

He is compared to Michael Morse who had a couple decent seasons at Washington. Tough call.

#31 User is offline   donwengert4life 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:23 PM

View PostBadAndy79, on 20 March 2017 - 01:12 PM, said:

He's playing an adequate job at 1st base. 5 Home Runs lead all Pirates batters during Spring Training. Bell is batting .053 this spring.

He is compared to Michael Morse who had a couple decent seasons at Washington. Tough call.

I know nothing about Osuna but if he compares to Morse in his prime, I would take that.

#32 User is offline   Vegetable 

• El Conquistador
  • PipPip

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:11 PM

View PostBadAndy79, on 20 March 2017 - 01:12 PM, said:

Maybe at least keep him as a DH for the first series in Boston. No need for a fifth starting pitcher to be on the roster for that series.
"We’ll be comfortable adding one (starter),” he said. “We’ll be comfortable adding nobody if it’s just not there. We don’t feel we are driven to force it. If we can add one that makes sense for us, that’s great. If we can add two that make sense … then we do that.”
Opie Taylor. In a decisive moment.

#33 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:23 AM

I've always liked Jose Osuna as a sort of under the radar prospect that could make an impact if given an opportunity.

As always, our first base situation is a joke- especially with Bell's struggles- so I would be all about it. Unfortunately, not being a "name" prospect, I wonder if a guy like Osuna has a shot at all, or if he's getting sent to AAA regardless of what happens in spring.
"The problem in this country, is that almost no one's sense of community or country extends beyond their wallet." -GoBucs

"Just let everyone do whatever they want. Sports are entertainment. Stop taking them so seriously." -PSU4Lyfe

#34 User is offline   donwengert4life 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:26 AM

View PostWinterset Resurrection, on 21 March 2017 - 05:23 AM, said:

I've always liked Jose Osuna as a sort of under the radar prospect that could make an impact if given an opportunity.

As always, our first base situation is a joke- especially with Bell's struggles- so I would be all about it. Unfortunately, not being a "name" prospect, I wonder if a guy like Osuna has a shot at all, or if he's getting sent to AAA regardless of what happens in spring.

it is the easiest position to fill in the entire starting lineup and the Pirates haven't had a good power-hitting first baseman since...shit, I can't even remember. Kevin Young had a couple of good years but do we really have to back 20 years?

#35 User is offline   SyrBucco 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:35 AM

Hoping we will see a late trade involving Bastardo as ST injuries mount up. He's pitched pretty well for us but I would rather hang on to the Rule 5 kid, Webb, from the Yankees, than be stuck short next year when Bastardo and Watson leave. There's Brault, sure, but I've read good things about Webb.

Having said that, must admit that there is no sign of smoke in any of the sites I read. I wouldn't ask much for Bastardo. The salary relief alone should be attractive enough for the cheap bastards.

Apart from that, I am mostly worried about Marte's ankle. His game relies on speed and he clearly suffered in the WBC after rolling the ankle. I don't want to start the year off with a different defensive alignment than the one they've planned - it would rightly confuse the players.
Knowing that you lied straight-faced while I cried
Still I look to find a reason to believe

#36 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:47 AM

View PostVegetable, on 20 March 2017 - 03:11 PM, said:

Maybe at least keep him as a DH for the first series in Boston. No need for a fifth starting pitcher to be on the roster for that series.

Good point, but probably no point in keeping him after that. He will just rot at the end of the bench, used only for 7th inning PH opportunities. Hurdle has little use for backup 1B types.

#37 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:54 AM

View Postdonwengert4life, on 21 March 2017 - 06:26 AM, said:

it is the easiest position to fill in the entire starting lineup and the Pirates haven't had a good power-hitting first baseman since...shit, I can't even remember. Kevin Young had a couple of good years but do we really have to back 20 years?

Laroche had some decent seasons I think. He was an enigma, but he was at least acceptable.

I am not sure Osuna is really under the radar. He is a right handed 1B prospect, no exactly a coveted asset. He does not really have any tools that rate that highly.

#38 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:54 AM

View PostVegetable, on 20 March 2017 - 03:11 PM, said:

I like the idea but there are some administrative issues related to it. The fifth starter would have to be a non-roster player, who could be assigned to the minors. I believe any rostered player is optioned, had to stay in the minors at least 10 days. The only exception is for an injury.
Robert F. Kennedy

Robert F. Kennedy

#39 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:01 AM

View PostGoBucs21, on 21 March 2017 - 07:54 AM, said:

I like the idea but there are some administrative issues related to it. The fifth starter would have to be a non-roster player, who could be assigned to the minors. I believe any rostered player is optioned, had to stay in the minors at least 10 days. The only exception is for an injury.

Would not really be an issue, they would not need the 5th starter until the 8th. Cole could even start the 8th on normal rest and they could have the 5th starter go on the 9th. Just option the player 10 days prior.

#40 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:27 AM

View PostNCBuccofan, on 21 March 2017 - 08:01 AM, said:

Would not really be an issue, they would not need the 5th starter until the 8th. Cole could even start the 8th on normal rest and they could have the 5th starter go on the 9th. Just option the player 10 days prior.

If the days don't start until the regular season, that is the problem.
Robert F. Kennedy

Robert F. Kennedy

Share this topic:

• 21 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic