• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

College Basketball Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 November 2016 - 06:12 PM

Looked for a thread but can't find one. I found myself stopping on the Pitt/Marquette game and this Michael Young guy looks really good. Definitely something Pitt has sorely missed for the last few years. He is doing a ton of playmaking. They look maybe too small to make any sort of real noise but the offense is at least more fun to watch than Pitt teams I can remember. Granted I don't watch much college basketball outside of April/March.
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.

#2 User is offline   NYPirate 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2016 - 12:36 AM

He's Pitt's Pedro Alvarez.
``Weve got some holes were looking to fill. We dont feel like we desperately have to do anything. Were in a great spot to be in. If we can upgrade, outstanding. Upgrade at an appropriate acquisition cost, even better.

#3 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2016 - 12:54 AM

View PostNYPirate, on 19 November 2016 - 12:36 AM, said:

He's Pitt's Pedro Alvarez.

What are the thoughts on Stallings so far? They looked pretty good today but that was with a senior leading the charge and not many other guys making shots
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.

#4 User is offline   CRIMHEAD 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2016 - 06:03 AM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 19 November 2016 - 12:54 AM, said:

What are the thoughts on Stallings so far? They looked pretty good today but that was with a senior leading the charge and not many other guys making shots

Not good. Offensive freedom is currently a means for bad shot selection. They are terrible defensively and he has started out playing Chris Jones a lot, who is terrible on both sides of the floor, and Cameron Johnson too much who is valuable, but they need more athleticism on the floor. Jeter has been in foul trouble a lot so that hasn't helped. They also have no true 5 to bailout guys when they get blown by in manor help rebound on defense if they go zone. They really can't play man.

Justice Kithcart is a really good prospect that can't shoot yet, but can defend and get to the rim. Damon Wilson gave them some decent minutes tonight. If both those two limit their outside shooting, they can help.

But Artis at point is silly. That being said, if they can get these guys to take better shots and figure out a way to not given up 100 offensive rebounds playing zone - because they can't play man - they'll be okay. Young and Artis are tough to stop.
CRIM

#5 User is offline   NYPirate 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2016 - 08:53 AM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 19 November 2016 - 12:54 AM, said:

I've watched about five minutes of game action so far. I haven't seen enough to form an opinion yet.
``Weve got some holes were looking to fill. We dont feel like we desperately have to do anything. Were in a great spot to be in. If we can upgrade, outstanding. Upgrade at an appropriate acquisition cost, even better.

#6 User is offline   DoctorJohnnyFever 

• WiH owns me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 December 2016 - 08:59 PM

So.

Kevin Stallings.

#7 User is offline   NYPirate 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 December 2016 - 11:43 AM

View PostDoctorJohnnyFever, on 02 December 2016 - 08:59 PM, said:

So.

Kevin Stallings.

The guy found out at the shoot around his best player was suspended for the game. I'm guessing that threw everything into chaos. Terrible loss, but I'm not ready to damn the guy.

#8 User is offline   DoctorJohnnyFever 

• WiH owns me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:09 PM

View PostNYPirate, on 03 December 2016 - 11:43 AM, said:

The guy found out at the shoot around his best player was suspended for the game. I'm guessing that threw everything into chaos. Terrible loss, but I'm not ready to damn the guy.

I don't know, if the Steelers hired Jeff Fisher nobody would be willing to give him much of a chance.

The guy has made the tournament 9 times in 24 years as a D1 head coach. I think there is reason to be concerned when he loses to Duquesne, with or without his best player.

#9 User is offline   NYPirate 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:20 PM

View PostDoctorJohnnyFever, on 03 December 2016 - 12:09 PM, said:

I don't know, if the Steelers hired Jeff Fisher nobody would be willing to give him much of a chance.

The guy has made the tournament 9 times in 24 years as a D1 head coach. I think there is reason to be concerned when he loses to Duquesne, with or without his best player.

He's not an upgrade over Dixon but he and the program became complacent.

#10 User is offline   oblongatta 

• Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:38 PM

View PostNYPirate, on 03 December 2016 - 11:43 AM, said:

Oh, I thought Stallings suspended him. I didn't hear much about it.

Still there's no reason for a coach to go out of his way to embarrass a player and childishly stare him down as they lost. That old school coaching just doesn't work. The players coaches like Dixon, Tomlin and the like that handle it internally are doing it right.

I'm willing to give Stallings a chance but this is disappointing.
You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
You're pretty on the inside,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.

#11 User is offline   DoctorJohnnyFever 

• WiH owns me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:38 PM

View PostNYPirate, on 03 December 2016 - 12:20 PM, said:

I don't necessarily blame people for thinking the second part, but that still doesn't mean you have to accept proven mediocrity coming in. I'd have rather seen them go with an unknown that could potentially be an upgrade over Dixon.

#12 User is offline   NYPirate 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:54 PM

View PostDoctorJohnnyFever, on 03 December 2016 - 12:38 PM, said:

I don't necessarily blame people for thinking the second part, but that still doesn't mean you have to accept proven mediocrity coming in. I'd have rather seen them go with an unknown that could potentially be an upgrade over Dixon.

I don't think anyone is accepting it. I'm going to give him a chance though to see what he can do once he gets his recruits in here. It's not his fault Pitt settled for him.

#13 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip

Posted 03 December 2016 - 06:48 PM

View PostNYPirate, on 03 December 2016 - 12:20 PM, said:

+1

Dixon had basically become the post-XL Bill Cowher. He was well-respected and had a lot of success, but it also became clear that the team wasn't going to advance any further under him.

With that being said, I absolutely agree with Jonathan that Stallings was not the guy to take over.

#14 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:26 AM

View PostNYPirate, on 03 December 2016 - 12:54 PM, said:

I don't think anyone is accepting it. I'm going to give him a chance though to see what he can do once he gets his recruits in here. It's not his fault Pitt settled for him.

Not his fault, but embarrassing that the program could do no better. Vandy did not want the guy anymore, and the rest of the ACC realized Pitt does not plan on being a factor in basketball. When it comes time to fire Stallings in 3 years, Duke UNC, and Syracuse might also be looking for a coach. I guess we can hope they choose better then.

#15 User is offline   coolpapacole 

• Utterly irrelevant
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 December 2016 - 10:08 AM

WVU is relentless and a lot of fun to watch, or at least as much fun as basketball can be for me.

#16 User is offline   DoctorJohnnyFever 

• WiH owns me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:42 PM

Duke's suspension of Grayson Allen was all of one game. One game they lost. I hope he trips somebody again tonight.

#17 User is offline   tobaccoroad 

• H@m@ph@be
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Jack Cust hails from my hometown!!

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:01 PM

View PostDoctorJohnnyFever, on 04 January 2017 - 06:42 PM, said:

Duke's suspension of Grayson Allen was all of one game. One game they lost. I hope he trips somebody again tonight.

I hope he gets clotheslined.

Shoes

#18 User is offline   DoctorJohnnyFever 

• WiH owns me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:03 PM

View Posttobaccoroad, on 04 January 2017 - 07:01 PM, said:

I hope he gets clotheslined.

Shoes

Honestly surprised something like that has not happened yet.

#19 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:24 AM

View PostDoctorJohnnyFever, on 04 January 2017 - 07:03 PM, said:

Honestly surprised something like that has not happened yet.

If that happens, watch Coach K scream for a suspension. This incident just shows that K isn't concerned about standards, he just wants wins like everyone else.
"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017
Winter's response to my post that Trump may have raped a teenage girl.

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#20 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:45 PM

View PostGoBucs21, on 05 January 2017 - 09:24 AM, said:

If that happens, watch Coach K scream for a suspension. This incident just shows that K isn't concerned about standards, he just wants wins like everyone else.

It is funny that when he had a bad team in 95, he decided he did not want the wins and losses to go to him while he was out for surgery. This time, which a contending team, he does.

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic