• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Random technology thread Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   DanPotashtic 

• Most Important
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:48 PM

Just got a dev version of iOS 7. There are some glitches, but it is pretty nice so far. I don't get all the immediate hate for the design it has been getting on tech blogs and the like. Some of the icons are kind of ugly, like they couldn't completely ditch old stuff for the new look but it' still a beta version. I like its functions so far and the look of it is pretty nice.

#42 User is offline   silverspring 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:51 PM

View PostDanPotashtic, on 13 June 2013 - 12:48 PM, said:

Just got a dev version of iOS 7. There are some glitches, but it is pretty nice so far. I don't get all the immediate hate for the design it has been getting on tech blogs and the like. Some of the icons are kind of ugly, like they couldn't completely ditch old stuff for the new look but it' still a beta version. I like its functions so far and the look of it is pretty nice.

They were told about the glitches but won't fix them because they refuse to admit they were wrong. How does it feel NOW?

#43 User is offline   DanPotashtic 

• Most Important
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:01 PM

View Postsilverspring, on 13 June 2013 - 12:51 PM, said:

They were told about the glitches but won't fix them because they refuse to admit they were wrong. How does it feel NOW?

Kinda dirty.

#44 User is offline   cogitobsw 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:24 PM

Just picked up the Hue starter pack and four more bulbs. Gonna pimp out my living room tonight!
"Mark it eight, Dude"

- Smokey

#45 User is offline   DanPotashtic 

• Most Important
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:38 PM

View Postcogitobsw, on 25 June 2013 - 05:24 PM, said:

Just picked up the Hue starter pack and four more bulbs. Gonna pimp out my living room tonight!

I'm fucking jealous man. Please let me know how you like it. I'm seriously hoping my family actually gets this for me for my birthday in July. I haven't really wanted something for my birthday since I was a kid.

#46 User is offline   cogitobsw 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:57 AM

View PostDanPotashtic, on 25 June 2013 - 05:38 PM, said:

I'm fucking jealous man. Please let me know how you like it. I'm seriously hoping my family actually gets this for me for my birthday in July. I haven't really wanted something for my birthday since I was a kid.

Right now I'll say the jury's out. I didn't have a lot of time to play with it last night, so there are some things I'll need to figure out. First, the light recipes don't seem to be very useful for me. I have recessed lighting in my living room . . . 7 bulbs on one switch. Three in a line across the front of the room (between me and the TV) and then four in a line behind my couch, parrallel to the couch, other three, and my TV. I haven't been able to effective wrangle all 7 lights into doing something that I want them to . . . other than just be lights. It's nice that I can dim the forward center light that's closest to the TV, and make the lights behind me darker, but I haven't yet found a way to effectively use the colors that isn't kind of silly looking.

I also haven't been able to get Hue Disco or Ambify to work effectively, though I didn't spend much time with them yet either. I think I need to do some more reading and experimenting to get it working. There are several things I thought would be easier to do with the app, that I haven't been able to figure out yet.

Installation was pretty easy, really just screw them in and plug the bridge into my wireless router. One small problem was that while I could name the bulbs anything I wanted (I went with LR Front 1-3 and LR Rear 4-7) they always appeared in the list in an order not based on the names, and I wanted LR Front 1 to be first, and LR Rear 7 to be last. I should have been able to drag and drop the order, but couldn't, so I ended up just unscrewing and repositioning the lights in the fixtures in the order I wanted them, and then renamed them based on how I wanted them. It only took 5 minutes or so, but I had to get the step ladder out again.

Also, it appears that you can only group 6 bulbs together in one group that can be modified en masse. With 7 total bulbs, I wish I could add one more. I definitely will continue to play with it, and figure stuff out. Haven't been able to figure out the If this then that aspect. I think it must be a 3rd party app. I want to set it up so that all of the lights strobe for 10 seconds everytime the Pirates score a run. I realize it'll probably lag by about 10 seconds (that's the lag between realtime and the score mobile iPhone app I use for sports updates) but I still think it'd be pretty cool.

You may remember that part of the justification for getting these was to address my wife's mild seasonal affective disorder. I feel confident that they will help with that. They give a very bright light, much brighter than the old lamps, and will definitely help fill in the dark spots (it's nice to be able to dim individual lights, so I can make the lights near the dark spots brighter).

Also, when using color for the lights, they are still very bright. It's not like there are just 7 color spots on the ceiling, the room is very much filled up and becomes the color.

My Living Room and Dining room are one big room, on two different switches. I only bought 7 lights for the Living Room, although I had originally intended to get another 8 for the dining room. At this point, I'm glad I limited it to the Living Room. Not sure I'm ready to throw down another $500 for the second room. Plus, if I think dealing with 7 lights is a pain in the ass, I'd be overwhelmed with 15.

While it hasn't knocked my socks off yet, I'm still optimistic, though. Everyone I've talked with really likes them, and I haven't read many negative reviews. The "Genius" at the Apple Store that I spoke with last night lit up (no pun intended) when I mentioned I was interested in Hue. She had it herself, and I could tell that she genuinely seemed to like it.
"Mark it eight, Dude"

- Smokey

#47 User is offline   DanPotashtic 

• Most Important
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:13 AM

http://www.ifttt.com

#48 User is offline   cogitobsw 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:52 AM

View PostDanPotashtic, on 26 June 2013 - 08:13 AM, said:

Thanks. I did stumble upon that briefly last night. I thought maybe that was where I needed to go, but had planned to look into it further later today. Hopefully I'll have some time tonight to explore further.

At this point, I'd say my main concerns are with the app. The hardware seems to work pretty darn well, and provide good quality lighting. I'm optimistic that any shortcomings in the app can be overcome in the future.
"Mark it eight, Dude"

- Smokey

#49 User is offline   oblongatta 

• Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:34 PM

I got a new keyboard and mouse at the office. They're pretty sweet. The keyboard is really quiet and has a soft foam like wrist support. I plan to spend all day fondling it... or at least the next 45 seconds.
You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
You're pretty on the inside,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.

#50 Guest_defdog_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:51 PM

View Postoblongatta, on 26 June 2013 - 12:34 PM, said:

The keyboard is really quiet

You must not of gotten the memo.

Everyone's switching back to IBM selectrict type mechanical keyboards of the 80s.
Loud clicky keys. Red, Brown, Black switches.
$150 for a keyboard. No joke.

#51 User is offline   PF82 

• no-talent goon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:58 PM

View Postdefdog, on 26 June 2013 - 12:51 PM, said:

You must not of gotten the memo.

Everyone's switching back to IBM selectrict type mechanical keyboards of the 80s.
Loud clicky keys. Red, Brown, Black switches.
$150 for a keyboard. No joke.

Best. Keyboard. Ever.

I wouldnt pay $150 for one however. Im sure there are still some sitting in surplus hardware storage around college campuses.
"I have to admit
I thought I was shock proof"

#52 User is offline   cogitobsw 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:09 PM

View PostDanPotashtic, on 26 June 2013 - 08:13 AM, said:

I just set up to turn my lights Pirate's Yellow every time the Bucs score. I saw a lot of similar "recipes" but I also note that the site says it only updates the recipes every 15 minutes, so I doubt it's going to be anywhere near as cool as I thought it might be.
"Mark it eight, Dude"

- Smokey

#53 User is offline   DanPotashtic 

• Most Important
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:19 PM

View Postcogitobsw, on 26 June 2013 - 01:09 PM, said:

I just set up to turn my lights Pirate's Yellow every time the Bucs score. I saw a lot of similar "recipes" but I also note that the site says it only updates the recipes every 15 minutes, so I doubt it's going to be anywhere near as cool as I thought it might be.

What does that mean it updates the recipes every 15 minutes? Like it only checks to see if the Pirates score every 15 minutes?

#54 User is offline   cogitobsw 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:48 PM

View PostDanPotashtic, on 26 June 2013 - 01:19 PM, said:

What does that mean it updates the recipes every 15 minutes? Like it only checks to see if the Pirates score every 15 minutes?

I think that's what it means. Unfortunately I won't be able to see how it works tonight, as I'll be out during the game.
"Mark it eight, Dude"

- Smokey

#55 User is offline   DanPotashtic 

• Most Important
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:58 PM

View Postcogitobsw, on 26 June 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

I think that's what it means. Unfortunately I won't be able to see how it works tonight, as I'll be out during the game.

That is weird that it would only "push" that stuff every 15 minutes. I imagine as the technology becomes more ubiquitous the app will improve as will the IFTTT channels. I assumed since it can do stuff like, "If i send an SMS that says on, turn on my lights" it would do that automatically rather than checking every 15 minutes if you sent that SMS. Weird.

#56 User is offline   cogitobsw 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:31 PM

View PostDanPotashtic, on 26 June 2013 - 01:58 PM, said:

That is weird that it would only "push" that stuff every 15 minutes. I imagine as the technology becomes more ubiquitous the app will improve as will the IFTTT channels. I assumed since it can do stuff like, "If i send an SMS that says on, turn on my lights" it would do that automatically rather than checking every 15 minutes if you sent that SMS. Weird.

Maybe I'm interpreting it wrong. Maybe it means that it only checks to see if you've updated the conditions of your recipe every 15, and not the actual terms of the recipe. I'd think there would be less shared recipes for sports scores, and/or more complaints if my original interpretation were correct.
"Mark it eight, Dude"

- Smokey

#57 User is offline   cogitobsw 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:57 PM

View Postcogitobsw, on 26 June 2013 - 02:31 PM, said:

Maybe I'm interpreting it wrong. Maybe it means that it only checks to see if you've updated the conditions of your recipe every 15, and not the actual terms of the recipe. I'd think there would be less shared recipes for sports scores, and/or more complaints if my original interpretation were correct.

I didn't realize today was a day game. When I got home, my lights were yellow, which is what I had set to happen when the Pirates scored . . . but I wasn't sure how long they'd been there. When they scored in the 9th, it took over 20 minutes before the lights changed, so it's definitely not a very prompt reaction.
"Mark it eight, Dude"

- Smokey

#58 User is offline   DanPotashtic 

• Most Important
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

View Postcogitobsw, on 26 June 2013 - 05:57 PM, said:

I didn't realize today was a day game. When I got home, my lights were yellow, which is what I had set to happen when the Pirates scored . . . but I wasn't sure how long they'd been there. When they scored in the 9th, it took over 20 minutes before the lights changed, so it's definitely not a very prompt reaction.

That's lame. Well I'm sure that recipe would get old quick anyway. Keep me posted. I'm still jealous hope you enjoy your purchase man.

#59 Guest_blurjose_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:26 PM

I wanna get me one of these...

Posted Image

#60 User is offline   cogitobsw 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:41 PM

View PostDanPotashtic, on 26 June 2013 - 06:11 PM, said:

That's lame. Well I'm sure that recipe would get old quick anyway. Keep me posted. I'm still jealous hope you enjoy your purchase man.

I figured out Hue disco. It doesn't synch so well with the music, but it's pretty neat nonetheless.
"Mark it eight, Dude"

- Smokey

Share this topic:

• 23 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic