• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Star Wars: The Last Jedi Episode VIII Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 April 2017 - 07:19 AM

I have to be honest: Out of the 3 Force Awakens trailers and 3 Rogue One trailers, this is the first time I've been genuinely disappointed in a new Star Wars trailer.

1. The opener is pretty fucking cool. You think it's going to be stars, but then it ends up just being crystals in a rock. The only bummer to me is that I'm *guessing* this is how Episode VIII actually begins, which means they may have wasted the surprise of a really cool, unique opener.

2. I'm really disappointed that it appears- as rumored- that VIII basically picks up exactly where VII left off. I think it would've been a lot more aggressive filmmaking to start with a scene of Luke and Rey already battling the First Order somewhere, implying that at least some time and training has passed.

3. My one and only lasting critique of Empire Strikes Back is that the movie really bogs down at the training series with Luke and Yoda on Dagobah. Some people find that part really awesome, but I'm not one of them. It looks like we're going to get the redux of that here, and it looks bland and cliche. While the bits of dialogue chosen in the other previews were fucking awesome, hearing Luke say "Breathe......just breathe" sounds pretty stupid to me. Frankly, if Luke Skywalker said that to me, Jedi or not, I would punch Luke Skywalker in the face for it.

4. Otherwise, the preview doesn't really give you any sense of what the story is going to be about. You can see there's some type of space battle, and Kylo Ren ends up being pissed off about something, but beyond that, you get nothing.

This might not be terrible. I frankly thought The Force Awakens previews gave away TOO much. After watching the 3rd and final trailer there, I had a pretty good sense of how the movie was going to play out, and it somewhat disappointed me in hindsight. This trailer though almost goes too far the other direction though. We really get nothing, outside of the expected Jedi training sequence.

I dunno. Maybe you guys will like it more than me, but overall, I was genuinely disappointed here.
"The problem in this country, is that almost no one's sense of community or country extends beyond their wallet." -GoBucs

"Just let everyone do whatever they want. Sports are entertainment. Stop taking them so seriously." -PSU4Lyfe

#2 User is offline   Sloshy 

• Lynchburg Hillcat

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:00 PM

It's just the teaser. I think the full preview will be awesome.

The Rogue One film convinced me that we can believe in JJ Abrahams.

#3 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:09 PM

View PostSloshy, on 17 April 2017 - 08:00 PM, said:

It's just the teaser. I think the full preview will be awesome.

The Rogue One film convinced me that we can believe in JJ Abrahams.

Slosh, I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic or not, but Gareth Edwards directed Rogue One. Abrams was only The Force Awakens.

With as fucking awesome as Rogue One was, I just wish they would've handed Edwards the keys to the franchise, and said, "Have at it."

Hopefully Rian Johnson has his shit together for VIII. I don't know directors that well, but seems like kind of an unproven guy to hand the franchise to.
"The problem in this country, is that almost no one's sense of community or country extends beyond their wallet." -GoBucs

"Just let everyone do whatever they want. Sports are entertainment. Stop taking them so seriously." -PSU4Lyfe

#4 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:13 PM

Just cut away from Bucs/Cards to finish watching Rogue One with the Mrs. while folding laundry.

I just don't think VIII or IX are going to touch it. I don't. It's that fucking good.

#5 User is offline   gahran 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:34 PM

Rian Johnson directed three of the best episodes of Breaking Bad.

1. The Fly - I think everyone probably remembers this one
2. Fifty-One - Skylar submerges in the pool fully clothed. This was a very character driven episode
3. Ozymandias - The motherfucking best episode there is

#6 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:14 AM

View Postgahran, on 17 April 2017 - 10:34 PM, said:

Rian Johnson directed three of the best episodes of Breaking Bad.

1. The Fly - I think everyone probably remembers this one
2. Fifty-One - Skylar submerges in the pool fully clothed. This was a very character driven episode
3. Ozymandias - The motherfucking best episode there is

I thought Looper was pretty good too.

#7 User is online   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:18 AM

It is also nice Johnson cleared up a bunch of fan theories and said the title only refers to Luke
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.

#8 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:36 AM

I feel like, based on the little bit that the 1st trailer showed (and I do NOT read spoilers, but will speculate on what official trailers they give us)...

Spoiler

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic