Pittsburgh Pirates: List of "Stranded On A Desert Island"CDs - Pittsburgh Pirates

• 15 Pages +
  • « First

List of "Stranded On A Desert Island"CDs List your top 5 to 10 that you'd want to play over and over and ov

#241 User is offline   Ma13tt0 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE (GoBucs21 @ Mar 2 2009, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thoroughly enjoyed To Kill a Mockingbird. Catcher in the Rye is very good too. If you want a baseball themed novel, I recommend The Great American Novel by Phillip Roth.

I bought All the Stars Came Out That Night but got a little over halfway through it. Basically about a fictional game between white players and negro league players. Its not a bad book but it gets kinda boring in parts and I just never got around to finishing it.

I'm like Nick, I have a short attention span. So most books I actually finish reading have a good pace to them and in some cases like Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code have pictures to show what the fuck they're talking about. I too have a bunch of books that I never finish reading. The most recent was some book I bought at Borders for $5 called What If (or something like that). Basically its how it sounds, it goes through a bunch of different scenarios in history and what it might be like if they did or didnt happen. Like what if Jesus didn't die on the cross or what if Pearl Harbor was never bombed, etc. Sounded interesting but I never got around to reading it.

Book that I think is total bullshit and a waste of my time: The Goal by Goldratt. Theory of Constraints and what not. All it was, was common sense. Oh no this machine is a bottleneck, its too slow. What should we do?
"Penguin and ma13tt0 vindicated" - PF82 12/12/12 8:35 PM

#242 User is offline   Jwill55sk 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE (CRIMHEAD @ Mar 2 2009, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm a bit confused how anyone could want a Rascal Flats album or a Brad Paisley album as their top 10 albums on a deserted island. I also was dragged to a Rascal flats concert - I cannot believe I'm admitting this - and thought it was just gratuitous self-promotion like I've never quite seen at a concert before. So I guess I don't get it. If it's just because it's fun music and generally enjoyable, that's fine. Nothing wrong with that. But one of the only albums you've got on a deserted island? That just surprises me. I guess I want to understand the love for these guys when they do nothing remarkable in my opinion.

Well, they are easily one of my 10 favorite makers of music. Thus, if I were on a deserted island and could take but 10 albums with me, I'd more than likely take one of theirs. In fact, I'd probably take more than one of them. I think they make fantastic music.
"DePaul is about as relevant to this argument as the Steelers are." -Monarch, on a discussion of the quality of the Big East conference

#243 User is offline   bucsbriana 

• Bench Manager
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE (Jwill55sk @ Mar 2 2009, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, they are easily one of my 10 favorite makers of music. Thus, if I were on a deserted island and could take but 10 albums with me, I'd more than likely take one of theirs. In fact, I'd probably take more than one of them. I think they make fantastic music.

Strange little fact: I've rarely had a conversation with my boss that he doesn't use the word thus in it. He loves that word. I once took a frequency count during a meeting and he said it seventeen times during the hour meeting.

#244 Guest_defdog_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE (Jwill55sk @ Mar 2 2009, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No one said it couldn't be "Stupid Island".

#245 User is offline   oblongatta 

• Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE (bucsbriana @ Mar 2 2009, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Strange little fact: I've rarely had a conversation with my boss that he doesn't use the word thus in it. He loves that word. I once took a frequency count during a meeting and he said it seventeen times during the hour meeting.

A long time ago in a group meeting four of us each picked one of our boss' favorite phrases and bet a beer on which one was said first. We quickly discovered the drawback to this game was an inability to control laughter each time one of the phrases was used. I even had to fake a cough and leave the room to stop laughing. We only played the game once.
You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
You're pretty on the inside,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.

#246 User is offline   bucsbriana 

• Bench Manager
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE (oblongatta @ Mar 2 2009, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A long time ago in a group meeting four of us each picked one of our boss' favorite phrases and bet a beer on which one was said first. We quickly discovered the drawback to this game was an inability to control laughter each time one of the phrases was used. I even had to fake a cough and leave the room to stop laughing. We only played the game once.

That's a great idea for our next meeting.

Thanks.

#247 User is offline   Martini 

• I'd Raged Have Lomo
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:21 PM

QUOTE (CRIMHEAD @ Mar 2 2009, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Johnny Cash was a hellofa singer, especially a gospel and country singer.

Johnny Cash was, simply, a HELL of a MAN!

Get it?

#248 User is offline   Martini 

• I'd Raged Have Lomo
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:22 PM

QUOTE (monarch0 @ Mar 2 2009, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I almost put the Eagles on my list as well. I've listened to that greatest hits CD at least 200 times.

Alicia Keys is sick as well.

Get it?

#249 Guest_sloshyj_*

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:26 PM

QUOTE (bucsbriana @ Mar 2 2009, 07:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
10. Eagles: Greatest Hits

ugh

#250 User is offline   CRIMHEAD 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:31 PM

QUOTE (Jwill55sk @ Mar 2 2009, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But why? Not trying to be a dick here, but I simply don't get it. Why do you think you make fantastic music? Seriously, what about them makes they different than the 5 thousand other artists out there that you would pick them?
CRIM

#251 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE (CRIMHEAD @ Mar 2 2009, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But why? Not trying to be a dick here, but I simply don't get it. Why do you think you make fantastic music? Seriously, what about them makes they different than the 5 thousand other artists out there that you would pick them?

Because he likes their music? Everyone doesn't like the same music.
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.

#252 User is offline   CRIMHEAD 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:58 PM

QUOTE (PSU4Lyfe @ Mar 2 2009, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because he likes their music? Everyone doesn't like the same music.

Very insightful, PSU, thank you. I'm asking why he likes their music. Jwill doesn't have to answer, but I'm interested. I don't see much redeeming, but maybe I'm missing something.
CRIM

#253 User is offline   Martini 

• I'd Raged Have Lomo
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:10 PM

QUOTE (CRIMHEAD @ Mar 2 2009, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very insightful, PSU, thank you. I'm asking why he likes their music. Jwill doesn't have to answer, but I'm interested. I don't see much redeeming, but maybe I'm missing something.

One of the guys went to Duke?

Get it?

#254 User is offline   PF82 

• no-talent goon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:10 PM

QUOTE (CRIMHEAD @ Mar 2 2009, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe the same reason Im eating this processed Cheese stick right now. While I do enjoy good beer and good music, Im mostly satisfied with pulp novels, crappy cheese, and action flicks. I know there's supposedly "better" out there, but Ive only got some much interest (and cash) to really explore the finest in everything.

That said, someone showed me some artisanal cheese aged in some Italian guys mircrobrew the other day that id probably like to try.
"I have to admit
I thought I was shock proof"

#255 User is offline   PF82 

• no-talent goon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:12 PM

And fuck knows I could have much better tastes in baseball teams...
"I have to admit

#256 User is offline   Martini 

• I'd Raged Have Lomo
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:15 PM

QUOTE (PF82 @ Mar 2 2009, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe the same reason Im eating this processed Cheese stick right now. While I do enjoy good beer and good music, Im mostly satisfied with pulp novels, crappy cheese, and action flicks. I know there's supposedly "better" out there, but Ive only got some much interest (and cash) to really explore the finest in everything.

That said, someone showed me some artisanal cheese aged in some Italian guys mircrobrew the other day that id probably like to try.

You'll never be the same

Get it?

#257 User is offline   PF82 

• no-talent goon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:19 PM

QUOTE (Martini @ Mar 2 2009, 11:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, I appreciate fine whisky as well, although it generally loses out to beer in my alcohol budget. I've got a bottle of 18yo Highland Park in the cabinet that I partake of now and then.
"I have to admit

#258 User is offline   Jeff King 

• Proficient At Judging Books By Their Covers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Location:Men's Room Stall Doing Lines With Josh Hamilton And A Couple Of Broads

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:21 PM

QUOTE (PF82 @ Mar 2 2009, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, I appreciate fine whisky as well, although it generally loses out to beer in my alcohol budget. I've got a bottle of 18yo Highland Park in the cabinet that I partake of now and then.

If you read closely between the lines, PF82 is saying that he's an alcoholic, like the majority of us.
Posted Image

To leave feedback or to reach me directly, please use this intercom.

#259 Guest_sloshyj_*

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:25 PM

QUOTE (Martini @ Mar 2 2009, 11:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What the hell does Matini know about scotch?

#260 User is offline   PF82 

• no-talent goon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:28 PM

QUOTE (Jeff King @ Mar 2 2009, 11:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you read closely between the lines, PF82 is saying that he's an alcoholic, like the majority of us.

If by "lines" you mean the beer stains on my shirt, then yes.

And to derail this thread slightly, Ive been miserably disappointed with the new Sam Adams Imperial Series of beers so far. The Imperial White is utterly noxious, like they dumped too much Belgian Candi sugar and some coriander into kerosene. The Imperial Stout is slightly better, but thats not saying much. Overroasted, bitter, bleh.

Im afraid to try the new Double Bock. The original version was one of my forays into trying better beer, and I heard they reworked the recipe.
"I have to admit

Share this topic:

• 15 Pages +
  • « First

Fast Reply