• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pirates Minor League Thread Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   tobaccoroad 

• H@m@ph@be
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Jack Cust hails from my hometown!!

Posted 15 April 2017 - 11:47 AM

Since the major league team could be a raging dumpster fire this year, it becomes more enjoyable to see how the kids down on the farm are doing.

You know...the kids that will either disappoint us by never getting to the majors, or will disappoint us once they get to the majors. Or they will do great for us and we can talk endlessly about our "window of opportunity" before he moves on to a bigger payday with a real baseball organization. Or they will be traded in a salary dump.

Why did I start this thread again?

Oh yeah. I got milb.tv subscription yesterday. Just $50 or so which is pretty cool. Watched most of the Indianapolis game. My thoughts:

Clay Holmes is an abortion right now. They didn't hit him hard but he had zero idea of where the ball would end up when he let it go. Zero.

Love Austin Meadows swing. Reminds me of Robin Ventura. He's been terrible so far, but he stung one that wasn't really a homer (missed y about half a foot) but was called a homer by the umpires. It was a really nice hard ine drive, so hopefully that gets him out of his funk.

Gift Ngeope is shaped like an Oompah-Loompah. He actually hit the ball pretty hard during the game and for the moment is hitting .300ish.

Max Moroff was somewhat impressive. Need to see more of him...just one game so grain of salt. He laid down a perfect bunt and has some speed. Needs to cut down on the strikeouts big time but he showed me enough offensively and defensively to keep my eye on him.

Got to see Neverauskas for the first time. Throws pretty hard and comes over the top with it so the pitch has nice downward plane but doesn't move much. Not sure if he is a future bullpen piece or not.

Osuna was terrible at the plate. Breaking pitches had him completely flummoxed.

That's all I can remember.

Shoes

#2 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip

Posted 15 April 2017 - 11:50 AM

I've seen Moroff a number of times, and he strikes me as a guy whose performance always exceeds what you expect his frame and tools to produce. I would put him right in line with guys like Alex Presley, Adam Frazier, etc.- scrappy players never highly thought of as prospects who continue to play well enough to potentially have MLB careers.

#3 User is online   BadAndy79 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 15 April 2017 - 01:38 PM

Luis Escobar down at WV Power full season low A ball. 23 K's in 11 innings (2 starts) so far. He'll be flying up the prospect charts soon.

Austin Meadows after an extremely sluggish start hit his 1st HR last night.

#4 User is offline   Jermaine Allensworth 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 15 April 2017 - 02:49 PM

View PostBadAndy79, on 15 April 2017 - 01:38 PM, said:

Luis Escobar down at WV Power full season low A ball. 23 K's in 11 innings (2 starts) so far. He'll be flying up the prospect charts soon.

Is teen sensation Luis Heredia still with the organization? My google search didn't turn anything up.

#5 User is online   Midnight Moose 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 16 April 2017 - 04:38 AM

View PostJermaine Allensworth, on 15 April 2017 - 02:49 PM, said:

Is teen sensation Luis Heredia still with the organization? My google search didn't turn anything up.

He's in Extended Spring Training, at Pirates City. I don't know why, though, I don't know if he's rehabbing an injury, or what.

#6 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2017 - 06:36 AM

View PostMidnight Moose, on 16 April 2017 - 04:38 AM, said:

He's in Extended Spring Training, at Pirates City. I don't know why, though, I don't know if he's rehabbing an injury, or what.

He stinks.
"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017
Winter's response to my post that Trump may have raped a teenage girl.

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#7 User is offline   jestor92 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 16 April 2017 - 06:49 PM

Are either of the players from India still in the organization?
Jose Tabata, Pedro Alvarez, and Andrew McCutchen are the new Jason Kendall, Brian Giles, and Kevin Young (in his prime) players that are good, but surrounded by crap which will make them losers.
Who needs a good team on the field when you have fireworks and bobbleheads!

#8 User is online   v2burghboy 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2017 - 07:02 PM

View Postjestor92, on 16 April 2017 - 06:49 PM, said:

Are either of the players from India still in the organization?

Prolly.

#9 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip

Posted 16 April 2017 - 07:31 PM

No. Singh made it 2 years longer than Patel, but both have been out since 2012. It does show that Singh appeared in 1 game for the GCL Pirates last year- after being out of baseball since 2012. Not sure what that was about. Special sales promotion maybe?

http://www.baseball-...id=singh-001rin
http://www.baseball-...id=patel-001din

#10 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:33 PM

View PostWinterset Resurrection, on 16 April 2017 - 07:31 PM, said:

No. Singh made it 2 years longer than Patel, but both have been out since 2012. It does show that Singh appeared in 1 game for the GCL Pirates last year- after being out of baseball since 2012. Not sure what that was about. Special sales promotion maybe?

http://www.baseball-...id=singh-001rin
http://www.baseball-...id=patel-001din

He was hurt, he had tommy john and broke his elbow, along with other injuries.

I know those guys had no shot, but I am all for the Pirates searching all over for players. Neveraskas might help in the bullpen, and a guy like Max Kepler for the Twins looks like he could be a solid player. The Pirates have shown they are not going to spend in FA, and now they are not going to spend in the Dominican. Need to find players somewhere.

#11 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:35 PM

View PostGoBucs21, on 16 April 2017 - 06:36 AM, said:

He stinks.

I did not understand why people were impressed with him last year. He was very unimpressive to me, walked a bunch of guys and had a whip of about 1.6.

#12 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:40 PM

View PostNCBuccofan, on 17 April 2017 - 12:35 PM, said:

I did not understand why people were impressed with him last year. He was very unimpressive to me, walked a bunch of guys and had a whip of about 1.6.

He combines a lack of command and a lack of stuff to form a perfectly unprojectable prospect.
"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

#13 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2017 - 12:38 PM

Gift Ngeope and his career .669 OPS in the minors has earned a promotion. Last year as a 26 year old at AAA he posted a .644 OPS, so far this year in 66 PAs he's at .687.

At least he should be a defensive improvement
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.

#14 User is offline   tobaccoroad 

• H@m@ph@be
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Jack Cust hails from my hometown!!

Posted 26 April 2017 - 12:54 PM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 26 April 2017 - 12:38 PM, said:

Gift Ngeope and his career .669 OPS in the majors has earned a promotion. Last year as a 26 year old at AAA he posted a .644 OPS, so far this year in 66 PAs he's at .687.

Wonderful story. Glad to see he will get a cup of coffee.

That said he doesn't belong on a team that thinks it can get a playoff spot this year. So actually I guess he is on the right team from that standpoint.

And he is shaped like an oompah loompah. Not completely certain what that means. But he is.

Shoes

#15 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2017 - 03:26 PM

View Posttobaccoroad, on 26 April 2017 - 12:54 PM, said:

Wonderful story. Glad to see he will get a cup of coffee.

That said he doesn't belong on a team that thinks it can get a playoff spot this year. So actually I guess he is on the right team from that standpoint.

And he is shaped like an oompah loompah. Not completely certain what that means. But he is.

Shoes

So tonight's bench is:
three hitters with no bats
a bad hammy
and a catcher they will never use.
17 April 2017

Robert F. Kennedy

#16 User is offline   Vegetable 

• El Conquistador
  • PipPip

Posted 26 April 2017 - 03:47 PM

View PostGoBucs21, on 26 April 2017 - 03:26 PM, said:

So tonight's bench is:
three hitters with no bats
a bad hammy
and a catcher they will never use.

With Frazier on the DL, it would have been disastrous to continue with only three second baseman on the active roster.

Opie has made some inexplicably stupid roster management decisions in his time, but he's taking it to a whole new level this year.
"We’ll be comfortable adding one (starter),” he said. “We’ll be comfortable adding nobody if it’s just not there. We don’t feel we are driven to force it. If we can add one that makes sense for us, that’s great. If we can add two that make sense … then we do that.”
Opie Taylor. In a decisive moment.

#17 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 28 April 2017 - 03:04 PM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 26 April 2017 - 12:38 PM, said:

Gift Ngeope and his career .669 OPS in the minors has earned a promotion. Last year as a 26 year old at AAA he posted a .644 OPS, so far this year in 66 PAs he's at .687.

It is a good story, and I am glad he will get a few ABs and a start. Maybe when the Pirates are completely out of it you let him play, or if by some miracle they make they are in contention, his defense would be nice to have available in September.

But the fact they have to call him up now is pretty bad.

#18 User is online   BadAndy79 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 28 May 2017 - 08:41 AM

Jameson Taillon makes his rehab start today at Erie for AA Altoona.

#19 User is offline   jcharding 

• Bench Manager
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 May 2017 - 05:35 PM

I just assumed he was out for the rest of the year
I am nevertheless too sensible of my defects not to think it probable that I may have committed many posting errors.

I always turn to the sports pages first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures.

#20 User is offline   Jermaine Allensworth 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 28 May 2017 - 07:21 PM

View Postjcharding, on 28 May 2017 - 05:35 PM, said:

I just assumed he was out for the rest of the year

I thought his career was over. Much like James Conner, cancer is no joke and it's hard to imagine professional athletes coming back after such an ordeal.

Share this topic:

• 15 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic