College Basketball Rate Topic: -----

#101 User is offline   oblongatta 

• Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:42 AM

View PostNCBuccofan, on 13 March 2017 - 08:00 AM, said:

I agree, it probably was mutual, and as someone else said, Dixon never adjusted to the ACC style of play, and did not recruit players that could help him win in that conference.

Pitt has 6 commitments. If they have 12 coming in, that means everyone but one player is leaving.

I've consistently said this is a nonsense argument and sadly one that cannot really be refuted. Those Pitt Big East teams that were high seeds in the tournament absolutely could have won in the ACC. They would have battered those teams. Now even if they called it close and Pitt had a lot of foul outs, they still had enough depth to beat many of the teams. Definitely enough not to finish at the bottom of the conference.

Now, NYPirate's argument is a little more difficult:

Dixon never made any recruiting adjustments to go along with the conference move. The last few classes were downright terrible. Whether it was an issue of money for assistants, recruiting budgets, or Dixon just being stubborn we will never know. Pitt can't consistently compete in this conference with "under the radar" recruits. If Stallings can't recruit, the downward spiral will continue.

I'm not sure I'd go as far as "under the radar recruits" but he did typically recruit players to fit his system. And he was able to get the top of those types of players and bodies. I'm not sure if we can even fault him for being stubborn because I think his teams would have done well in the ACC. But, the fact is his last couple recruiting classes were not very good. My best guess is the move to the ACC cost him not in style of play but in his recruiting base. It became a lot more difficult to pitch ACC play to the NY/Philly/Eastern seaboard players to come to an ACC team. Personally, I think he would have overcome this. I was willing to give him a little longer in the ACC. My guess is that the last year (and maybe even the one before it) had a down class because he knew he was going. I still don't think it was him not liking the ACC (though I'm sure he would have preferred the BE). I'm not sure he was a comfortable at Pitt with Barnes.

For the record, I'm would have liked Dixon to stay but I am fine with him moving on if it was his choice. As for the new coach, I was willing to give the guy a chance but even with the "not his players argument" I've seen nothing I like in his first season at all.
You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.

#102 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:42 AM

Stallings was a lousy hire.

#103 User is offline   oblongatta 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:54 PM

Lagasse's stadium is pretty wild.

I was thinking the over for WVU buy decided to skip that game. Bucknell winning would be pretty awesome though.

#104 User is offline   oblongatta 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:17 PM

Looks like Bucknell's run is over already... Unless they go with the strategy of throwing the ball at the face of all wvu's starters.

#105 User is offline   Dale Berra's Nose 

• Pitching Coach
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:38 PM

I'm in a first-place tie in my bracket...

... along with about 80 people.
IS THIS THE GAME THREAD???

#106 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:36 PM

Good to see Maryland lose. Over hyped from the beginning of the season and now they are one and done.
"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017
Winter's response to my post that Trump may have raped a teenage girl.

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#107 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:51 PM

Fucking Wisconsin. Damn.

Every year, some middle-of-the-pack Big 10 team catches fire, and just totally slays a region of the bracket. I always want to pick it oh so badly, but I always call the wrong one.

Wisconsin usually excels in the tournament, but it's so tough to pick a 1-seed to go down in the Round of 32, because you might have the upset right, but you pick the 8, and it ends up being the 9 that does it, or vice-versa. Those 8-9 games are so damn tough to call.
"The problem in this country, is that almost no one's sense of community or country extends beyond their wallet." -GoBucs

"Just let everyone do whatever they want. Sports are entertainment. Stop taking them so seriously." -PSU4Lyfe

#108 User is offline   BadAndy79 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:06 PM

Arkansas an 8 seed is ready to do the same vs North Carolina.

And Michigan beats 2 seed Louisville.

Ya I'm done with these bracket contest.

#109 User is offline   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:22 PM

View PostWinterset Resurrection, on 18 March 2017 - 06:51 PM, said:

Fucking Wisconsin. Damn.

Every year, some middle-of-the-pack Big 10 team catches fire, and just totally slays a region of the bracket. I always want to pick it oh so badly, but I always call the wrong one.

Wisconsin usually excels in the tournament, but it's so tough to pick a 1-seed to go down in the Round of 32, because you might have the upset right, but you pick the 8, and it ends up being the 9 that does it, or vice-versa. Those 8-9 games are so damn tough to call.

Wisconsin is an interesting team with the amount of experience they have. Koenig and Hayes are the #1 and #2 a five scoring leaders in the NCAA tourney for their careers.
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.

#110 User is offline   NYPirate 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:39 PM

Good job, good effort ACC.
``We’ve got some holes we’re looking to fill. We don’t feel like we desperately have to do anything. We’re in a great spot to be in. If we can upgrade, outstanding. Upgrade at an appropriate acquisition cost, even better.’’

#111 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:20 AM

At least I did hit on Michigan to get this far, even though I missed out on the Wisconsin boat.

Funny thing- I checked ESPN's nationwide standings yesterday morning, and the dude in 1st place had picked a PURE 100% perfect bracket to date. Everything spot on.

But his champion was Louisville, who just lost to Michigan. So now that guy is going to go from #1 in the country, to maybe not even winning his own office pool. Crazy.
"The problem in this country, is that almost no one's sense of community or country extends beyond their wallet." -GoBucs

"Just let everyone do whatever they want. Sports are entertainment. Stop taking them so seriously." -PSU4Lyfe

#112 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:08 AM

View PostNYPirate, on 19 March 2017 - 10:39 PM, said:

Good job, good effort ACC.

This would have been a perfect basketball weekend if Arkansas would have held on. Still, Duke losing in the second round is almost perfect. I still hate the ACC. Now WVU is my favorite team in the tournament.
"It's probably true. Trump probably did it, because people in power tend to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and usually get away with it."
17 April 2017

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

#113 User is offline   coolpapacole 

• Utterly irrelevant
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:43 AM

View PostGoBucs21, on 20 March 2017 - 08:08 AM, said:

This would have been a perfect basketball weekend if Arkansas would have held on. Still, Duke losing in the second round is almost perfect. I still hate the ACC. Now WVU is my favorite team in the tournament.

WVU is a fun team to watch. I am not a basketball fan in general but I love the tenacious way they play. There is something admirable in a team that has success largely due to effort. I really wonder why other teams don't employ the press more when they are outmatched as far as pure talent. There must be good basketball reasons but I simply don't know enough about the sport to know what they are.

#114 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:48 AM

View Postcoolpapacole, on 20 March 2017 - 08:43 AM, said:

WVU is a fun team to watch. I am not a basketball fan in general but I love the tenacious way they play. There is something admirable in a team that has success largely due to effort. I really wonder why other teams don't employ the press more when they are outmatched as far as pure talent. There must be good basketball reasons but I simply don't know enough about the sport to know what they are.

Team's used to do it a lot. It takes a lot of effort, good athletes, and players who really want to play defense.
17 April 2017

Robert F. Kennedy

#115 User is offline   oblongatta 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:17 AM

Other than the fact I can't like WVU, I do like that style of play. It's why I liked that Pitt man to man hacking defenses of the Big East era. Something cool about watching a more physical game. The worst defense to watch was the Syracuse 2-3 zone, just awful.

I am not surprised about the ACC performance. The conference as a whole just looked weak all season. If I wasn't so busy having fun in Vegas I would have liked to see if there was a way to bet on conference performance. For the most part I stayed away from betting on basketball, just didn't feel confident. Broke even on blackjack, playing much less than usual. And put some money on futures bets. Threw away $10 on the Pirates and $20 on Pitt Football (350 to 1!!! -- no I don't think there's a chance in hell but I've thrown away money on worse causes).

#116 User is offline   Winterset Resurrection 

• TEAM CAT
  • PipPip

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:35 AM

I wish I could pick WVU to go deep more often, because I feel like they still have this Big East physical style most seasons.

The problem- and this is straight from memory, so I could be wrong- is I feel like they've also had a number of tournament appearances where they are expected to do well, but then get bounced in the 1st round.

I know personnel changes from year to year, but it's still tough for me to have a region hinge on a team whose tournament results are so highly variable.

#117 User is offline   Gideon Clarke 

• GAY 4 CUTCH!!!
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Bisexual for Kate Upton

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:14 PM

View Postoblongatta, on 20 March 2017 - 10:17 AM, said:

I am not surprised about the ACC performance. The conference as a whole just looked weak all season.

And yet they still managed to skullfuck Pitt.

View Postoblongatta, on 20 March 2017 - 10:17 AM, said:

And put some money on futures bets. Threw away $10 on the Pirates and $20 on Pitt Football (350 to 1!!! -- no I don't think there's a chance in hell but I've thrown away money on worse causes).

There are worse causes than bookies?
"You know, I wish I could go back in time and kick the shit out of the idiot who decided to make kickers part of football."

-Coach Marty Daniels

#118 User is offline   oblongatta 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:35 PM

View PostGideon Clarke, on 20 March 2017 - 05:14 PM, said:

And yet they still managed to skullfuck Pitt.

well yes, and no. That's actually part of my reasoning for the ACC being weak. Pitt beat three of the tournament teams and was in games (losing by a small number of points) to almost every other ACC team that made the tournament. The only team that blew Pitt out from start to finish was Miami. This was a Pitt team that lost to Duquesne and was playing with basically 5 players for the majority of the ACC schedule. The ACC sucked this year.

#119 User is offline   NCBuccofan 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:45 AM

Duke fans are really going after K on the radio down here. You would think they had a Pitt like season.

Hell, UNC fans are going after Roy Williams and they won.

#120 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:55 AM

View PostNCBuccofan, on 21 March 2017 - 07:45 AM, said:

Duke fans are really going after K on the radio down here. You would think they had a Pitt like season.

Hell, UNC fans are going after Roy Williams and they won.

What are the Duke fans saying?
17 April 2017

Robert F. Kennedy

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic