• You cannot reply to this topic

2016 Movie Thread The one for 2016. And movies in it. Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   oblongatta 

• Supreme Overlord of the Universe
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Whisper Fighting

Posted 08 February 2016 - 03:31 PM

Well this should probably be in last year's thread but I didn't see anyone mention it so I'm putting it here.

I saw Tomorrowland on HBO. And I liked it. I know it bombed and at the time I had no interest in seeing it, so maybe I had low expectations but there were some good things. I found it to be both enjoyable and humorous. And I think it captured that Disney future era that I grew up with. It felt like that classic optimistic, this is what the future will be like, with bright colors and flying cars. I thought it was a great change from the dark dystopic vision of the future that is ubiquitous in today's movies. There were some flaws and the overall resolution to the great mystery was a little lacking. But I though it was fun. And sometimes, that should be enough.
You're pretty on the inside,
That's better than not pretty at all,
Too bad I'm an outside kinda pretty guy.

#42 User is offline   oblongatta 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 February 2016 - 11:31 AM

I ended up seeing Deadpool yesterday, just happened to have free time, wasn't planning on seeing ti the day of the release.

I'm sure this will be an unpopular review, but it was pretty damn awful. I guess I'll use spoiler tags but I doubt I'll give away anything...

Spoiler

#43 User is online   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 February 2016 - 11:49 AM

View Postoblongatta, on 13 February 2016 - 11:31 AM, said:

I ended up seeing Deadpool yesterday, just happened to have free time, wasn't planning on seeing ti the day of the release.

I'm sure this will be an unpopular review, but it was pretty damn awful. I guess I'll use spoiler tags but I doubt I'll give away anything...

Spoiler

Damn you're the first person I've seen even have a slightly bad review of it. I'm going tomorrow so without reading your spoiler tags I hope it's wrong
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.

#44 User is offline   oblongatta 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 February 2016 - 11:59 AM

View PostPSU4Lyfe, on 13 February 2016 - 11:49 AM, said:

Damn you're the first person I've seen even have a slightly bad review of it. I'm going tomorrow so without reading your spoiler tags I hope it's wrong

Maybe my review is overly harsh but some things bothered me. non-spoiler comments.. There's probably a good chance you and many many people will like it. It is nonstop action. There's many many jokes and you will laugh. I think for many people, once the initial "hey that was fun" wears off, the movie will feel pretty forgettable.

#45 User is online   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 February 2016 - 12:35 PM

View Postoblongatta, on 13 February 2016 - 11:59 AM, said:

Maybe my review is overly harsh but some things bothered me. non-spoiler comments.. There's probably a good chance you and many many people will like it. It is nonstop action. There's many many jokes and you will laugh. I think for many people, once the initial "hey that was fun" wears off, the movie will feel pretty forgettable.

That's kind of what I'm expecting.

But hey, Spider-Man is getting rebooted AGAIN(not kidding). Deadpool will be a refreshing change for me in terms of super hero movies. I don't see too many of them. I've never even seen Avengers. I thought Ant Man was dumb.
Disclaimer: This post in no way supports nor defends the signing of Rod Barajas.

#46 Guest_defdog_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 13 February 2016 - 02:46 PM

ob, I kinda called it. It looks like a Ghost Rider/Daredevil.

#47 User is online   Pantsless Jose Lind 

• The Ugandan Giant
  • PipPip
  • Interests:I enjoy playing second base and cocaine.

Posted 13 February 2016 - 04:34 PM

I think it looks awful. Admittedly, I don't think Ryan Reynolds has ever been good in anything, and legitimately probably makes films even worse, but I can't believe it has the grade it has on Rotten Tomatoes. No desire to see it whatsoever, and other than Fantastic Four, that's rare for me and comic book films.

Good call on Ant Man PSU. I also think the Avengers movies are overrated. But people way overrate all the superhero movies in general. I've seen all them all and the only ones for me that really stand out are the Nolan Batmans, Guardians of the Galaxy, Winter Soldier and X Men First Class.

I am really looking forward to Superman vs Batman but I think there's a good chance it could be shit, especially based on the way Doomsday looks. I do think X Men Apocolypse could be good. Fassbender and Oscar Isaac have been on a roll lately and Apocolypse is a very interesting villain.
"What other businesses do you expect to lose money for your entertainment?" --sisyphus -UPPMD

#48 User is offline   Jeff King 

• Proficient At Judging Books By Their Covers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Location:Men's Room Stall Doing Lines With Josh Hamilton And A Couple Of Broads

Posted 13 February 2016 - 05:52 PM

View PostPantsless Jose Lind, on 13 February 2016 - 04:34 PM, said:

I am really looking forward to Superman vs Batman but I think there's a good chance it could be shit

The trailers are brutal to sit through in the theater. Having Jesse Eisenberg do a watered down version/imitation of Heath Ledger's Joker character is a really bad idea.
Posted Image

To leave feedback or to reach me directly, please use this intercom.

#49 User is offline   ecbenito 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 February 2016 - 06:16 PM

View PostJeff King, on 13 February 2016 - 05:52 PM, said:

The trailers are brutal to sit through in the theater. Having Jesse Eisenberg do a watered down version/imitation of Heath Ledger's Joker character is a really bad idea.

they really should have just brought back Kevin Spacey

#50 User is offline   oblongatta 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 February 2016 - 06:59 PM

I think the iron man movies particularly the first were the best of the superhero genre. I like the Nolan Batman but they have some minor flaws. And I still like the Keaton Batman and Original Reeve Superman.

#51 User is offline   Penguin 

• Collective Wisdom
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 February 2016 - 08:29 PM

I loved Deadpool for all the reasons oblong hated it. For me, it was the Kingsmen of comic book movies. And just like I loved Kingsmen despite hating spy movies, I loved Deadpool while hating comic book movies.

I took my 13 year old son as well. That may have been a mistake.
"The business of baseball is to make money, not break even. I don't understand why you think the Pirates should run their team like a charity." - Willlton 6/18/2009

"The Bay trade doesn't look like it (a slam dunk winner), but if you take into account the fact that all they lost was eight months of Jason Bay's services, as well as the fact that even the Red Sox look like they won't be able to re-sign him, it's not nearly the loser many people seem to think." - tWTM 11/26/2009

"Morton is finding himself, now while this may sound weird and out there, but the fact he put on a solo concert at Piratefest shows he finally has the confidence that he lacked within himself that he didn't have in the lower minors." - aso513 2/8/2010

"Dave Littlefield vindicated." - Xiga 4/30/2011 after one scoreless inning of relief by Daniel Moskos.

"Hanrahan and Cedeno would be a gross overpayment for Belt. Sorry, but I'll stick with my realistic analysis of the market and the teams involved." - Steve Zielinski 5/25/2011

"He (Barmes) could have a .000 Batting Average and still be an asset." - bradlej31 5/28/2012

"The last time the Pirates won an extra-inning game in St. Louis that lasted at least 16 frames was April 20, 1986 at Chicago." - Kristy Robinson 8/19/2012

"I want to tweet something clever and interesting to you that will earn your respect and make you smile, since you do that to me all the time." - jpbucco to Colin Dunlap 4/12/2016

"If the Pirates had acquired Giancarlo Stanton from the Marlins, Im not sure they would have won the Benedict trade." - David Todd 11/11/2015

#52 User is offline   mzimmerman81 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 February 2016 - 12:19 AM

Deadpool was awesome
5 GP

10-16, 4-2B, 2-3B, 9 RBI, 6 R

#53 User is online   PSU4Lyfe 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 February 2016 - 06:40 PM

View Postmzimmerman81, on 14 February 2016 - 12:19 AM, said:

Deadpool was awesome

Just saw it. This review is way better than Oblongs

#54 User is offline   oblongatta 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2016 - 11:14 AM

View PostPenguin, on 13 February 2016 - 08:29 PM, said:

I loved Deadpool for all the reasons oblong hated it. For me, it was the Kingsmen of comic book movies. And just like I loved Kingsmen despite hating spy movies, I loved Deadpool while hating comic book movies.

I took my 13 year old son as well. That may have been a mistake.

Ironically, the reason I hated it is it tried to make it more of a comic book movie. It was basically a super hero origin movie. The only differences were (1) it was more violent, (2) it was a constant one-liner laugh track, and (3) the hero was an anti-hero. As I noted, I thought these parts that were to set it apart were the weakest aspects of the movie. For me, the one liners hit on about a 10% rate and I think Deadpool is much more of an anti-hero in the comics.

There were some great scenes. The scenes with the blind roommate and bartender were great. The early running joke about the costume color was well done. Oh and the cabbie was awesome too. See a trend here? It was the non-superhero parts of the movie I though that worked. The entire origin plot and interaction with the other super power types was basically the Wolverine movie with more jokes.

#55 User is offline   Jermaine Allensworth 

• All Star
  • PipPip

Posted 15 February 2016 - 11:52 AM

View Postoblongatta, on 15 February 2016 - 11:14 AM, said:

Ironically, the reason I hated it is it tried to make it more of a comic book movie. It was basically a super hero origin movie. The only differences were (1) it was more violent, (2) it was a constant one-liner laugh track, and (3) the hero was an anti-hero. As I noted, I thought these parts that were to set it apart were the weakest aspects of the movie. For me, the one liners hit on about a 10% rate and I think Deadpool is much more of an anti-hero in the comics.

There were some great scenes. The scenes with the blind roommate and bartender were great. The early running joke about the costume color was well done. Oh and the cabbie was awesome too. See a trend here? It was the non-superhero parts of the movie I though that worked. The entire origin plot and interaction with the other super power types was basically the Wolverine movie with more jokes.

I must be an old man like Oblong, since I didn't like it either. I'm not much of a Marvel fan though, as the only Marvel movies that I've really enjoyed were Iron Man, Thor, and Winter Soldier.

#56 User is offline   Penguin 

• Collective Wisdom
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2016 - 12:01 PM

View Postoblongatta, on 15 February 2016 - 11:14 AM, said:

I would never tell someone what they should find funny. But I found much more than 10% of the one liners funny. I fucking died when he called the guy who initially recruited him "Jared". Found the opening credits hilarious. Spelled out Francis. I could go on.

Was it over the top? Sure. Do I respect your opinion? Absolutely. I just disagree.
"The business of baseball is to make money, not break even. I don't understand why you think the Pirates should run their team like a charity." - Willlton 6/18/2009

"The Bay trade doesn't look like it (a slam dunk winner), but if you take into account the fact that all they lost was eight months of Jason Bay's services, as well as the fact that even the Red Sox look like they won't be able to re-sign him, it's not nearly the loser many people seem to think." - tWTM 11/26/2009

"Morton is finding himself, now while this may sound weird and out there, but the fact he put on a solo concert at Piratefest shows he finally has the confidence that he lacked within himself that he didn't have in the lower minors." - aso513 2/8/2010

"Dave Littlefield vindicated." - Xiga 4/30/2011 after one scoreless inning of relief by Daniel Moskos.

"Hanrahan and Cedeno would be a gross overpayment for Belt. Sorry, but I'll stick with my realistic analysis of the market and the teams involved." - Steve Zielinski 5/25/2011

"He (Barmes) could have a .000 Batting Average and still be an asset." - bradlej31 5/28/2012

"The last time the Pirates won an extra-inning game in St. Louis that lasted at least 16 frames was April 20, 1986 at Chicago." - Kristy Robinson 8/19/2012

"I want to tweet something clever and interesting to you that will earn your respect and make you smile, since you do that to me all the time." - jpbucco to Colin Dunlap 4/12/2016

"If the Pirates had acquired Giancarlo Stanton from the Marlins, Im not sure they would have won the Benedict trade." - David Todd 11/11/2015

#57 User is offline   oblongatta 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2016 - 12:30 PM

View PostPenguin, on 15 February 2016 - 12:01 PM, said:

I would never tell someone what they should find funny. But I found much more than 10% of the one liners funny. I fucking died when he called the guy who initially recruited him "Jared". Found the opening credits hilarious. Spelled out Francis. I could go on.

Was it over the top? Sure. Do I respect your opinion? Absolutely. I just disagree.

no problem there. It's funny you mention the opening credits. When they started, I thought they were cheesy and annoying.

I recently saw this comment on the Big Bang Theory, I think it fits why I thought many of the jokes in Deadpool missed. I think they were simply pop culture references:
https://twitter.com/...4933378/video/1

(full disclosure, I've never been a fan of Family Guy for the same reason. For every joke that is funny I have to sit through about 10 not funny pop culture references)

#58 User is offline   Penguin 

• Collective Wisdom
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2016 - 12:41 PM

View Postoblongatta, on 15 February 2016 - 12:30 PM, said:

no problem there. It's funny you mention the opening credits. When they started, I thought they were cheesy and annoying.

I recently saw this comment on the Big Bang Theory, I think it fits why I thought many of the jokes in Deadpool missed. I think they were simply pop culture references:
https://twitter.com/...4933378/video/1

(full disclosure, I've never been a fan of Family Guy for the same reason. For every joke that is funny I have to sit through about 10 not funny pop culture references)

I think this sums up the fundamental difference between us. I like The Big Bang Theory and love Family Guy episodes from 2005-2012.

#59 User is offline   oblongatta 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2016 - 12:48 PM

View PostPenguin, on 15 February 2016 - 12:41 PM, said:

I think this sums up the fundamental difference between us. I like The Big Bang Theory and love Family Guy episodes from 2005-2012.

yep, fair enough. And I did like the first several years of the Big Bang Theory. I watched it as recently as last season. Some of it was pretty original and creative but I found that they got less and less as the years went on.

Family Guy I just never got. I think my humor tends to drift more towards absurdity (Aqua Teen Hunger Force) and humorous comments on society (South Park). I find Modern Family consistently funny though I'm not sure how I'd classify that.

hmm, kind of a strange thing to think about what you find to be funny. I'll have to think of what recent movies I found to be laugh out loud funny.

#60 User is offline   Penguin 

• Collective Wisdom
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2016 - 12:52 PM

View Postoblongatta, on 15 February 2016 - 12:48 PM, said:

yep, fair enough. And I did like the first several years of the Big Bang Theory. I watched it as recently as last season. Some of it was pretty original and creative but I found that they got less and less as the years went on.

Family Guy I just never got. I think my humor tends to drift more towards absurdity (Aqua Teen Hunger Force) and humorous comments on society (South Park). I find Modern Family consistently funny though I'm not sure how I'd classify that.

hmm, kind of a strange thing to think about what you find to be funny. I'll have to think of what recent movies I found to be laugh out loud funny.

Funniest movies to me the last 10 years.

The Other Guys
This is the End

Share this topic:

• 17 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic