• You cannot reply to this topic

Hillary Clinton for President Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   ckroynovich 

• All Star
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:22 AM

View PostPF82, on 05 March 2015 - 10:48 PM, said:

... The high comedy of First Gentleman Bill Clinton is almost worth it.

He would make Joe Biden's body of work look like a slow weekend with Jeffery Epstein.

Posted Image

#42 Guest_Nickflair04_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:23 AM

POPULAR

I don't know a ton about him so I could be completely wrong, but Jon Huntsman seems like he would have been a great choice. He seems fairly reasonable and middle of the road.

That's what I (and seemingly most of the general public) really want to see - a moderate, middle of the road candidate who looks at the issues individually and uses logic and reason in his/her decision making rather than simply following party lines. I'm never going to agree with every decision any president makes, but if sounds logic and reason are used while making the decision, I can at least respect it.

#43 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 March 2015 - 08:19 AM

View PostNickflair04, on 06 March 2015 - 07:23 AM, said:

I don't know a ton about him so I could be completely wrong, but Jon Huntsman seems like he would have been a great choice. He seems fairly reasonable and middle of the road.

That's what I (and seemingly most of the general public) really want to see - a moderate, middle of the road candidate who looks at the issues individually and uses logic and reason in his/her decision making rather than simply following party lines. I'm never going to agree with every decision any president makes, but if sounds logic and reason are used while making the decision, I can at least respect it.

Huntsman would be a very good candidate, probably one of the two or three better candidates. He made an aborted run for the Republican nomination in 2012. You hit the nail on the head with Huntsman's issues. He is too moderate for the conservatives. Also, he was Obama's ambassador to China and therefore, seen as a traitor to the conservative Republicans. Because he's a Republican, the Democrats won't even give him the time of day. If he ran as an independent, the system will crush him.
People say I am ruthless. I am not ruthless. And if I find the man who is calling me ruthless, I shall destroy him.
Robert F. Kennedy

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

Day of commemoration to honor the Victims of Bowling Green, April 1, 2017.

#44 Guest_defdog_*

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:10 AM

The Koch brothers gave like a billion to republican campaign, Guess where that $1B came from. The $4 per gallon we were paying for years.

#45 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:12 AM

View PostLonghornBuc, on 06 March 2015 - 09:47 AM, said:

The reason politics is so fucked up is enormously simple. Campaign finance.

The studies have shown that politicians spend most of their time raising funds for their future campaigns. The 50-200 you may give them means pretty little. The five to eight figures they get from the top .0001% of the population drives them. And those funds are in the hands of a very few people and their PACs.

If you want better public policy and politicians, you wipe out the bribery system that exists. Most politicians are decent people to start with, but they live in the most corrupt system and inevitably get corrupted themselves.

The other two things are the two party system and gerrymandering. On Monday, the SC heard a case that if they uphold the suit against the Arizona redistricting commission (whatever their name is), it would ensure that only the controlling political party of each state and redistrict. AZ has an independent commission that draws the congressional districts. The AZ state legislature sued stating that the commission violates Article 1, Section 4 of the US Constitution. If the SC sides with the AZ state legislature, only the state legislature can draw congressional districts, which means the party that controls the legislature will draw districts that benefit the party, not the will of the people.
People say I am ruthless. I am not ruthless. And if I find the man who is calling me ruthless, I shall destroy him.
Robert F. Kennedy

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy

#46 Guest_Utterly Irredeemable_*

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:26 AM

IS THIS THE ELECTION THREAD!!?qq!???11???

#47 User is offline   Martini 

• I'd Raged Have Lomo
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:28 AM

Yodelay!
Get it?

#48 User is offline   ECBucs 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:35 AM

View PostMartini, on 06 March 2015 - 10:28 AM, said:

Yodelay!

I'm all for Hilary if John Edwards is her running mate,

Hoping Cruz gets nod for Republicans rather than another wish washy Bush.

#49 User is offline   PF82 

• no-talent goon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:37 AM

View PostMartini, on 06 March 2015 - 10:28 AM, said:

Yodelay!

Is she running? I'm in. Almonds in every bowl!
"I have to admit
I thought I was shock proof"

#50 User is offline   silverspring 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:58 AM

POPULAR

Not super familiar with Huntsman but enough to know what's wrong with the Republican Party. The idea that Huntsman isn't conservative enough shows what I have been bitching about for years. Republicans have lost the map to what the word conservative means. What they really mean is that Huntsman isn't Republican enough. Old school conservatives like me find themselves siding with liberals rather frequently, or what we call liberals today, just as Patrick Henry would. Both parties are now groups of groups and don't really have a foundation they campaign from. Just issues and groups - no real substance. Sad.

#51 Guest_defdog_*

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:01 AM

Pssst. Jon Hunstman is a Mormon from Utah. He has 7 kids.

#52 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:12 AM

View Postdefdog, on 06 March 2015 - 11:01 AM, said:

Pssst. Jon Hunstman is a Mormon from Utah. He has 7 kids.

So, he's Catholic with and extra book. He's still a pretty good potential leader.
Robert F. Kennedy

Robert F. Kennedy

#53 Guest_defdog_*

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:22 AM

Obama might of been pretty bad at things, but he did indirectly get Marijuana and Gay Marriage passed, along with his sweeping Health Care for everyone.

you can pretty much guarantee all 3 of those things would not exist if we had a Mormon (Hunstman or Romney).

one can argue even the Womens Equal Pay and Minimum Wage increase laws would not have passed.

#54 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:32 AM

View Postdefdog, on 06 March 2015 - 11:22 AM, said:

Obama might of been pretty bad at things, but he did indirectly get Marijuana and Gay Marriage passed, along with his sweeping Health Care for everyone.

you can pretty much guarantee all 3 of those things would not exist if we had a Mormon (Hunstman or Romney).

one can argue even the Womens Equal Pay and Minimum Wage increase laws would not have passed.

Not sure that President Obama had anything to do with the passage of legalized pot or gay marriage. Both of those happened at the state and individual lawsuit level.

Huntsman, Romney, and the entirety of evangelical right are not going to stop legalized pot or gay marriage. Republicans under the age of 30 support both issues in large numbers. Conservatives can fight both but they are pissing in the wind. Pot and gay marriage are a fait accompli.
Robert F. Kennedy

Robert F. Kennedy

#55 Guest_Nickflair04_*

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:35 AM

View Postdefdog, on 06 March 2015 - 11:22 AM, said:

I think you're wrong on at least one of those.

In a February 2013 op-ed published in The American Conservative, Huntsman expressed his support for same-sex marriage, stating: "All Americans should be treated equally by the law, whether they marry in a church, another religious institution, or a town hall. This does not mean that any religious group would be forced by the state to recognize relationships that run counter to their conscience. Civil equality is compatible with, and indeed promotes, freedom of conscience."[95][96]

In 2013, Huntsman was a signatory to an amicus curiae brief submitted to the Supreme Court in support of same-sex marriage during the Hollingsworth v. Perry case.

I think this is my favorite quote from Huntsman, though:

The minute that the Republican Party becomes... the anti-science party, we have a huge problem. We lose a whole lot of people who would otherwise allow us to win the election in 2012.

#56 User is offline   GoBucs21 

• Veteran Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:39 AM

View PostNickflair04, on 06 March 2015 - 11:35 AM, said:

I think you're wrong on at least one of those.

I think this is my favorite quote from Huntsman, though:

While I'm not gay for Huntsman, his position on gay marriage makes me like him more than I already did. I'm really surprised he hasn't been excommunicated from the church for that. The Mormon Church or at least prominent members of it were the primary funding source behind the California proposition to ban gay marriage.
Robert F. Kennedy

Robert F. Kennedy

#57 Guest_defdog_*

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:51 AM

Obama picked the Supreme Court Justices to help overturn those rulings.
He also didn't have federal agencies try to overrule state actions.
He's chill with it.

you want to see what a hard core republican does?
Bumfuck just legalized GM 3 days ago, and the new governor has stopped it.
thanks Pete Rickets. Go ruin the Cubs some more.

#58 User is offline   The Lumber Company 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:43 PM

View PostPenguin, on 05 March 2015 - 09:50 PM, said:

You know what is missed? Summer.

And The Lumber Company.

I haven't gone anywhere - I still read pretty much every day.

It's just easier for me to keep up with twitter when I don't have much time. When baseball season rolls around, I'll be back and participating more consistently I'm sure.

I hope that everybody is doing wonderfully.

#59 User is offline   Martini 

• I'd Raged Have Lomo
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 March 2015 - 01:03 PM

View PostPF82, on 06 March 2015 - 10:37 AM, said:

Is she running? I'm in. Almonds in every bowl!

And never dark at 4:30!
Get it?

#60 User is offline   Jeff King 

• Proficient At Judging Books By Their Covers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Location:Men's Room Stall Doing Lines With Josh Hamilton And A Couple Of Broads

Posted 06 March 2015 - 01:59 PM

Now that Winter is single, he has to be regretting that he quit the board. Just think of all the free time he must have now.
Posted Image

To leave feedback or to reach me directly, please use this intercom.

Share this topic:

• 615 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic