Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:24 PM

Posted Image

#2 User is online   Gideon Clarke 

• GAY 4 CUTCH!!!
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Bisexual for Kate Upton

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:13 PM

If the supposed "alien" looks "perfectly human", I would think that would be the single biggest reason the film is a hoax. Aren't aliens supposed to be alien? Whoever made that video watches too much Star Wars.
"You know, I wish I could go back in time and kick the shit out of the idiot who decided to make kickers part of football."

-Coach Marty Daniels

#3 User is offline   Dale Berra's Nose 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

View PostWinters in Holland, on 01 November 2012 - 07:01 PM, said:

1. Secret mission or not, there IS clearly an enormous elliptical object lodged in a crater on the far side of the Moon. Astronauts first photographed it on Apollo 8 (1st manned mission to orbit the Moon), and got the best images on Apollo 15. You can see it by scrolling right on this panoramic image from Apollo 15:

http://www.lpi.usra....me/?AS15-P-9625

Shame on me for taking the bait. But why the hell is that "clearly an enormous elliptical object lodged in a crater"? Isn't that just a typical crater?
IS THIS THE GAME THREAD???

#4 User is offline   Dave Kerwin 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

That's fucking cool. If its a hoax it is superb. My hang up is just doubting that these guys could retain possession of this footage if they did in fact shoot it. So your saying winter, that the Apollo 20 sticker thing looks authentic? It looks kinda slapped on. Also, were they suggesting with that sound beam weapon shit that this thing got shot down and crashed on the moon? The ship looked fucking cool, though.

I just don't quite rule this stuff out, not sure what I'd say if somebody held a gun to my head and told me to tell them what I believe or else...but I'm always at least interested if for no other reason than it's great story. I may attempt to watch some more of this shit on YouTube

#5 User is offline   Dale Berra's Nose 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:43 PM

View PostWinters in Holland, on 01 November 2012 - 09:24 PM, said:

You must not be looking in the right spot.

Thanks. I was not looking in the right spot.

#6 User is offline   herrmorpheus 

• Penguin In The Desert
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:55 PM

The one thing I question regarding any satellite photo of something on the moon is depth and texture, especially if it isn't a relatively recent photo (like one taken by Curiosity on Mars). Camera technology has advanced so much recently. So for something even 20-30 years ago, it's really hard to get an image in detail. And when it's taken at a distance like these, shadows, rock formations, and depth perception all play a role in misidentifying what you're seeing.

So while I agree that the image looks interesting, it's also really hard to tell that it isn't a rock formation or something natural. It's not like it looks metallic or anything.
Save a journalist, buy a newspaper.

#7 User is offline   CRIMHEAD 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:01 PM

You may want to validate the capabilities of the launch site at the time this was supposed to occur.
CRIM

#8 User is offline   clemente_in_right 

• Silenced Pen
  • PipPip
  • Interests:selling paper

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:23 PM

I'm confused on the dead female alien thing. Are they claiming to have found dead female aliens inside the crashed alien vessel? Or were the bodies lying around outside on the surface of the moon? What was up with the Qtips that were leading from her eyes to her mouth? Did she suffer a Henry Cotto like injury and eventually died as a result of that? That video would be much better if they didn't have a crappy soundtrack playing and if they hadn't intentionally distorted the voice of the lady who was making comments toward the end. The truth - whatever it might be - should stand on its own. Having annoying dramatic music and adding high school a/v quality sound effects don't help the case imho.
In any human group, family, tribe, (or baseball team), there are norms - shared expectations of behavior. Any member who deviates from these norms calls into question the basic values of the group. And groups don't like to have their basic values questioned. It makes them nervous. - Jim Bouton in Ball Four Plus Ball Five

What about doctors who make house calls? Repairmen who know how to fix things? And ballplayers who hustle? And boxers who get carried out of the ring, instead of quitting because of stomach cramps? And what about the death penalty for scum who take a human life and snuff it out like it's so much garbage? I've seen the past, gentlemen, and it works. - William Shatner as T.J. Hooker in episode 1.1 'The Protectors'

It seems likely that removing the sense of closure from book writing will, in time, alter writer's attitudes toward their work. The pressure to achieve perfection will diminish, along with the artistic rigor that the pressure imposed. - Nicholas Carr from The Shallows

#9 User is offline   Dale Berra's Nose 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:36 PM

View Postclemente_in_right, on 01 November 2012 - 10:23 PM, said:

What was up with the Qtips that were leading from her eyes to her mouth?

Interesting ... I thought those were buffalo wing remnants.

#10 User is offline   Dale Berra's Nose 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:14 AM

Wait, that footage isn't long-lost camera footage, but something that someone secured via remote viewing? And it got to tape or digital from someone's brain how?

#11 User is offline   Dale Berra's Nose 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:43 AM

View PostDale Berra, on 02 November 2012 - 06:14 AM, said:

Wait, that footage isn't long-lost camera footage, but something that someone secured via remote viewing? And it got to tape or digital from someone's brain how?

I can't tell if this is a stupid question -- so stupid it doesn't merit a response. Or if it's just such an obvious problem with the video that no defender of the alien potential can even answer it.

#12 User is offline   ECBucs 

• Bulldog Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

My first reaction was this is just another hoax. But I saw a book at Barnes and Noble the other day that had lots of photos of UFOs and some were pretty convincing.

Also the Wikipedia entry for Rutledge claims this is a hoax and was easy for even amateurs to debunk - ---------------

But - it did not offer any reasons to show it is a hoax.

So I would not be surprised if CIA and NASA have a base on dark side of the moon trying to get information that will stop global warming, end world hunger and produce an unlimited supply of clean energy. We need to get the answers before the Chinese.

#13 User is offline   buckeyebucco 

• Pitching Coach
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

All I'll say is this, I don't know if something else exists in this universe, but I think it is very ignorant to say, for certain, that nothing else does. Whether or not other life does exist, you've got media constantly discussing it (like the History Channel), and Hollywood constantly doing films about it. Are they just trying to make money, or is the federal government setting up shop for something they know is real or for a hoax to scare people into believing what they want. There are a lot of instances on record of powerful politicians talking about unidentified flying objects and actually seeing them firsthand. Then there's Roswell, NM. This stuff just doesn't appear out of nowhere, especially when former Presidents of the United States are discussing it in speeches. The universe is so big, who the fuck is anyone to say there is not anything else out there. And not going to try to turn this into politics, but Obama did pretty much kill NASA during his tenure.

#14 User is offline   buckeyebucco 

• Pitching Coach
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

View PostDoctorJohnnyFever, on 01 November 2012 - 07:24 PM, said:

Posted Image

Someone really needs to remind you that The Simpsons have sucked very badly for the last 15 years...

#15 User is offline   CRIMHEAD 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:43 PM

Am I misinterpretting the film or where they directly communicating with Vandenberg AFB when discussing decent angles and such?
CRIM

#16 User is offline   DoctorJohnnyFever 

• WiH owns me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

View Postbuckeyebucco, on 02 November 2012 - 07:39 PM, said:

Someone really needs to remind you that The Simpsons have sucked very badly for the last 15 years...

I'm well aware of this fact. It's also a good thing that screen shot came from one of the good seasons.

#17 User is online   Gideon Clarke 

• GAY 4 CUTCH!!!
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:34 PM

View PostWinters in Holland, on 02 November 2012 - 07:47 PM, said:

Interestingly, when NASA (and its predecessor, NACA) were in their infancy, it was generally accepted among scientists that the exploration of other worlds in our solar system could potentially reveal alien artifacts and abandoned structures from other civilizations. But in the late-1950's to early 1960's (somewhat coinciding with the government's lockdown on UFO secrecy in general), the topic became very taboo, and it continues to this day with the mainstream scientific community.

The frustrating thing to me is that we can now look back through history to CLEARLY see other examples of this exact type of thinking setting back the human race centuries, if not milennia. I liken this debate to the historical battle over whether the Earth or Sun was at the center of our solar system.

Nicholas Coernicus gets the credit for proving our solar system was sun-centered, but a Greek named Aristarchus actually came up with the idea 1800 years earlier. Yet any talk of a Sun-centered solar system was gauged taboo. People were killed, imprisoned, and intimidated; all evidence supporting a Sun-centered universe was ignored by the "scientists" of the day. In the end, humans finally figured it out when society was willing to accept it...but we could've gotten there almost 2,000 years earlier.

I see the same thing happening now.

These days, the popularity or unpopularity of an idea within the scientific community tends to be based on evidence. At one time it was chic to believe that alien civilizations would be found on other planets; now it's not. There are a lot of reasons for this.

1. A huge piece of evidence for life on Mars was a mere mistranslation. Italian astronomer Giovanni Schiaparelli wrote that there were "channels" on the moon. It was translated as "canals" in English. Eventually, someone brought this error to light.

2. Science gathered more data on the bodies in the solar system. At one time, it was thought that there was life on the moon. Then we learned that the moon lacks liquid water and an atmosphere. The same beliefs were held regarding mars, until the same facts were revealed there. Venus, once believed to be the most earthlike of the planets, turned out to be an abominable hellscape that would leave Dante Alighieri sobbing incoherently for his mother. It turns out there's only one decent property in our neighborhood, and we already built a McMansion on it.

3. Science believed for decades that it was a few years away from knowing definitively how life on this planet began. If the event could be reproduced by humans in a lab, it meant that maybe it was easy enough that it could have happened in a less-than-ideal environment. Turns out science still can't create life from scratch, and it has come to terms with that fact.

4. So life being less likely to arise than we had once assumed, and the rest of the solar system being less livable than we had originally believed, the idea of life native to the nearest neighboring planets is essentially ruled out. Of course, any race sufficiently advanced to engage in interstellar travel would likely be capable of establishing a colony on a barren rock like Mars if they had a good reason...that is, if such a thing exists. Hell, humanity has the technology now to live on Mars indefinitely. The problem is that they'd also have one hell of a time getting there. Space travel speeds have basically plateaued. If there are indeed alien civilizations elsewhere in the universe (and I do still consider that reasonably likely), it's likely that many of them hit the same plateau. So now the "sufficiently advanced race" you're looking for has to be advanced enough to disprove or trick relativity. It adds another barrier and reduces the number of potential colonizers.

5. Humanity is like your least favorite uncle. It's been mooching off your grandmother its entire life, it married for six months and then got divorced, so it hates women, it's vaguely racist because it got kicked out of college for having terrible grades and one of the professors there was an ambiguous shade of brown, it'll partake far too heavily of any open bar in sight, and once it drinks, it's far too willing to spout its infuriating and embarrassing views far, far too loudly for anybody's comfort. You'd have to be really damn lonely and really damn desperate to sit down at its table. In fact, you might just skip the wedding altogether unless you had a particularly compelling reason to be there. Any race that is sufficiently advanced to achieve interstellar travel is sufficiently advanced to determine how dysfunctional humanity is, and either beat us up to take our lunch money, make itself unnoticed, or just keep walking.
"You know, I wish I could go back in time and kick the shit out of the idiot who decided to make kickers part of football."

-Coach Marty Daniels

#18 User is offline   Dale Berra's Nose 

• Manager
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:01 PM

Awesome post, Gideon.

#19 User is offline   DoctorJohnnyFever 

• WiH owns me
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:14 PM

View PostDale Berra, on 02 November 2012 - 11:01 PM, said:

Awesome post, Gideon.

+1

#20 User is online   Gideon Clarke 

• GAY 4 CUTCH!!!
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:26 PM

View PostDale Berra, on 02 November 2012 - 11:01 PM, said:

Awesome post, Gideon.

Thanks! I'm thinking it's a couple more formulaic jokes and a few google image searches away from being a cracked.com article.

-Coach Marty Daniels

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic